Samsung Galaxy Book (gens 1 and 2) - Wiki

Windows 11 is running fine on my 10.6.

Windows 11 itself though… well no taskbar toolbars (no proper BatteryBar) and the eMMC memory seems to be making the Start Menu and Notification thing open very slowly after a while of not being used (I’m guessing getting booted out of RAM).

Gen 1 Galaxy Books are one Intel gen too old to be supported, but they have TPM 2.0, so work fine.

Yes, but I have yet to discover a reason to go through the trouble of manually installing Win 11. Win 10 will continue being updated until 2025 and the GB12 will be 9 years old by then, assuming it lasts that long.

2 Likes

Good point Ted - nearly a decade with the same computer - how quaint…

4 Likes

Was thinking of picking upgrading my old i3 Surface Pro 3 with either a used Surface Pro 7 or 8 but after seeing this thread I think I might want a Galaxy Book 12 instead.

I already have a Samsung Tab S7 to cover my 10" form factor and I already purchased both a Staedtler Noris Digital Jumbo & LAMY AL-Star Stylus to use for illustrating and note-taking with my S7.

If I got a Book 12 instead of a Surface I know I can use the stylus I already like, but gain access to the Windows drawing apps and workflow. Something I am seriously considering.

It’s a real shame Samsung abandoned their Windows slate line. I do like all my EMR S-pens.

Does the old Core i-5 processor still handle most productivity tasks well today? I am surprised Samsung embraced USB-C so early, when Microsoft really dragged their heals on implimentation.

2 Likes

My GB 10.6 that I handed down to my daughter got returned late last year for my SGo 2. So, it’s been back in my service as my get around device complimenting the SB2 while I wait for the SP8. I agree with @Bishop, those bezels still bother me. Besides Sammy got way to many corners of this in comparison to it’s bigger sibling.
Yeah, the S pen is still a joy to ink with, but that paltry 4gb ram is a pain.

2 Likes

I don’t think the RAM is the biggest problem, though 4GB is too low. I think the CPU just isn’t good enough. At least it’s been the CPU that’s hobbled me the most.

I don’t mind the bezels. They’re a great size for actually holding it, if you do.

I’m not sure why Samsung cut so many corners though, especially for the price they were asking.

1 Like

I’m treating mine more like an android tablet. Not running much at once, mostly web apps. Runs well enough for that kind of stuff. I got it for less than my Tab S6 lite and I can run about the same kinds of things, minus the mobile games that are android only. But what I gain is full fat OneNote so I can properly manage the school notebooks for my kids.

2 Likes

Welp, my keyboard cover just flaked out on me, and it seems to be a known issue (with the most helpful suggestions available, as typical).

I was browsing eBay and found a 4G Galaxy Book 12 for a good price though, which I am tempted by.

I didn’t know that was an issue. Good luck getting a replacement Galaxy Book! Sadly, the days for all of these are numbered and there still isn’t anything newer that’s as good.

I have a slight hope for the rumored Surface Pro X 11-inch that might come out by the end of the year. I’m happy enough with the Slim Pen 2 on my SLS so I can live with it on a GB12 equivalent. Of course, the price would be ouch.

1 Like

I know I’m prejudiced as a current owner, but the SP8 is not much bigger than the GB12 and I really like the 13" screen, kickstand, Slim Pen, and TB4:

SP8…11.3x8.2x0.37…1.96lb…2.58lb with Type cover

GB12…11.47x7.87x0.29…1.66lb…2.66lb with Keyboard Folio

2 Likes

I’m too attached to EMR, but mainly it isn’t my main device so I’m not prepared to pay SP8 or even 7 prices for a new device.

1 Like

Yeah, the SP8 and slim pen 2 closed a significant gap with EMR.

:palm_down_hand: :rotating_light: :bowing_man: Sorry everyone. False alarm.

Keyboard’s back working this morning as normal. I tried almost everything short of refreshing my install last night and nothing. I guess a driver just had a tantrum or something.

At least there’s now somewhere on the web where someone actually follows up on the issue now. Such is the value of this community.

3 Likes

Of course after getting decent proficiency in Unreal, work has thrown me a curveball and now I have to switch to Unity.

And what perfect excuse to create a portable learning station than breaking out my 12 to refresh and load up only Unity and Visual Studio. After not using the GB for a year, it feels like home. I love the keyboard, the thin-ness, the screen… and of course the pen for taking notes. This thing really is a classic and never feels out of style.

UPDATE:
I’m using the 4GB/128GB version too. I’m surprised how well it is running Unity, albeit I’m not doing anything with heavy graphics. For a learning “platform”, this thing is doing just fine. Basically, just running Unity, Visual Studio, YouTube and OneNote. I love how I can just throw this thing in a bag like a book, and open it up to resume learning when time permits.

5 Likes

So, I was having real problems with Windows 11 on the 10.6 and a reinstall during the summer didn’t really fix much and it got worse again. It was usable, but very annoying.

And the keyboard issue happened again. And yet again after about a day it suddenly decided to work as if nothing had happened.

I just tried a reinstall a couple of days ago, and it seems to have kicked most of the gremlins who had taken up residence out. The UI is now going at a bearable speed, and right-clicking the start button actually produces a menu. The quick settings and widget panels are still a bit slow, as are all the more modern setting menus (as they were on 10). Search also now works again.

I did have reason to go into the Control Panel and that really shone a light on how laggy, on this device at least, Windows 11’s UI can be. But the most important thing is that it’s useable.

I’ll refrain from any UI tweaks for a while and see if it gets worse again.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten a system to replace the Galaxy Book 10.6 (the battery is very worn anyway now), so turfed all the important data off and installed Windows 10 on it again.

Lo and behold, it works very smoothly. It might be some driver issues but I suspect Windows 11 is a ‘heavier’ OS and is relying on modern systems being more powerful. But still, having a mere 4GB of RAM and eMMC memory work quite smoothly is just nice to see. And disappointing; OSes shouldn’t be getting more bloated.

When I was in bios, I saw that the RAM was two 2GB modules.

2 Likes