Rethinking the dual screen paradigm

, I would fix that (if I could) by using the design of eg Asus Zenbook where the keyboard is lifted up by the screen (see image below) but with 3:2 screen and 360° hinge. And then either add a larger Screenpad (palm detection needs to be good or only sensitive to the pen at the sides). Or replace the keyboard by a full second screen like Neo does and add a magnetic bluetooth keyboard+touchpad.
LD0005429234_2_01.jpg (1600×1600) (notebookcheck.it)

1 Like

I think I have mentioned it before, but just get BetterSnapTool for Windows Management. It ends up being better than Windows Snap. You get 100% of the same snap ability, but can also set up custom snap areas that activate with a keyboard shortcut, or by dragging to an area of the screen. They are isolated to each setup, so no external monitor connected is different than monitor connected.

It’s in the Mac App Store, but you can find out more here: https://www.folivora.ai/bettersnaptool/

That aside, I think that you are right with the dual device and suck-it-up model. I now have an iPad Pro 12.9” M1 model and the M1 Macbook Air 16/512. The two together are pretty nice.

(I still wish the same as you secretly though GIVE ME MAC OS ON THE IPAD…I just don’t think it will happen, and it is sometimes nice having separate devices…)

2 Likes

Interesting discussion on the use of more than one device. When I’m Zooming or Teaming on my Go2, I break out the Boox Nova 3 for a notepad. The Note 10 is too small for serious note taking. The Boox is perfect in that role, particularly with the Wacom pen. What I also like is the fact that the battery is almost always charged because of the low power drain.

4 Likes

Well given my general tendency to verbosity on things tech, you have left me speechless…:slight_smile: though not in the least surprised either.

4 Likes

At this point I don’t think I could surprise anyone, much less you, with my mental gymnastics.

About the only tech I seem to be stuck to without any vacillation is a dual external monitor setup in my office. I really like the look of the M2 MBA, and the M1 MBA is about one of the best bargains around, but I just can’t bring myself to rely on DisplayLink as a full time solution…so that leaves me in the MBP camp, if I make the return (third time a charm?) For sure I’ll give BetterSnapTool a go - I did use Magnet last time, which was ok, but still a shadow of Windows Snap…

1 Like