Platform Choice: It’s No Longer About The Hardware (was Creative's choice)

Agreed. It’s the reason I can’t take the iPad seriously: No matter how powerful the M1 or M2 chips are, they will always be hampered by the OS. Lack of proper file system, and the fact that most APP was built to fit the system of the bottom of the lineup, AKA the basic iPad, the apps will never make the most of the M1 chips (most better thing people feel on the Pro over the basic iPad is just actually more RAM to get more layers/higher resolution etc).

Unlike Windows where AAA games are not mean to be played on Celeron system without dGPU, Rebelle not mean to run on low power system… If developers make app that make full use of the M1, it would run slow on the basic iPad and there would be complaints. So I don’t really see much difference between the basic iPad and the Pro beside RAM.

Another problem i have with iPad is lack of freedom to use third party systems-wide text to speech engine. You would be trapped with Apple tts engine that only support a few languages ( not including mine, so the complaint). Or lack of App that sync over Google Drive instead of icloud ( does Apple even allow that?)

Or lack of open source apps like Krita. Many popular desktop open sources app is being ported over, but they will never come to iOS because Apple stores policy.

Primitive browsers that is terribly crippled is another problem. Many HTML5 games and app that run fine on Android turn up with error on Safari mobile.

Android can run Linux app with different levels of permissions depending on it being rooted or not. They are open to many level of tweaking and repurposing while the iPad is locked forever (admittedly an iPad last much longer than a common Android device with higher resale value. Any Samsung with s-pen support is on par with ipad when it come to resale value though).

Basically, if I’m presented with an iPad Pro and a Tab S8 Plus and only allowed to take one to Gilligan’s island, I would pick the S8 for sure.

It’s good to discover what floats one’s boat. I see no problem with choosing what works best for you. Congrats.

I have this foreboding that if @dstrauss sticks to something for an entire year the world will end… or at least the forum. Without dstraussing what would we talk about? :vb-confused2:

1 Like

Depends on how you define “dstraussing” - if it has to include changing platforms, then that is a real risk, but if like the past it just means changing devices (the list of Windows laptops and tablets reads like a Civil War casualty list) there will still be “destraussing” to deal with for a while longer. What if the M2 iPad Pro has a form factor change (thinner but larger 12” screen) with landscape camera and improved (lighter and multi-adjustment) Magic Keyboard II? Or how about an M3 iPad Pro with the 11” body but a 12” OLED screen? It could happen…

Not to mention what becomes of the MacBook Pro 14 - right now I think it stays around for quite a wile as the F150 for moving the big(gest) loads, because I can’t even seem to raise the temp 1 degree C with my workflow.

PS - a LOT of the past two days has been on the iPP11 with beta iPadOS 16…

Hm, somehow it wouldn’t feel like authentic dstraussing if it was merely upgrading to a new model of what you already have. :batman_thinking:

1 Like

Are you saying I am bordering on boring? If the shoe fits…

It’s necro-quoting something over 2 months old, but a thread retitle does seem appropriate. What did you have in mind, @DoobiesOobies ? Something like “Platform Choice: It’s No Longer About The Hardware”? Or some variation. I suppose a new topic might be a good alternative.

I bring it up because @CrazyCat makes good points along those lines and it also fits with the potential death of dstraussing. :smile_cat:

Funny, having watched Dave2D’s review of the Nothing phone yesterday where he said the latest highest hardware spec didn’t always give you anything you would actually use over high quality mid range technology.

Anyhow - is it possible to change thread titles?

Absolutely. In fact, I seem to still have that superpower left over from when I stepped down as Admin. So what would you like it to be changed to? If you see a pencil at the end of the title in the first post, you have that power as well.

Just tried it and it seems to work for me - not that I’ve become endowed with super-powers…

Yeah, I edited my post because it occurred to me that most old timers might have that power.

3 Likes