Paper laptop

Soo, a startup by the name of Modos believe they can offer a laptop running on an e-ink screen. The demo seems legit, and refresh rate is the best I’ve seen to date. If this can be offered for less than $300 (which I honestly doubt) I would probably get one as a dedicated “typewriter” if also runs OneNote without any lag I’d probably shell out $500 without blinking. Obviously it can never completely replace a laptop, but for text oriented work it does come with advantages.

5 Likes

I’d be very interested as well. On the plus side, the e-ink display is arguably the best out there. OTOH, some of the folks behind this have a pretty sketchy track record in actually delivering a product.

2 Likes

Probably need industry insider knowledge for that. Not that a failure or two – unless they did something dodgy – should disqualify them. Judging from the video I’d say they are at least 18 months away from a shipping demo unit.

Agreed ,and I’ll watch and see what transpires. As someone who does a ton of text editing/review/markup this is appealing . Plus the power consumption of e-ink is a small fraction of even the most efficient LCDs, so any device should have much longer battery life and/or could be significantly lighter weight

Reading the title, I thought it was a laptop with case made from paper, like one of those DIY cardboard laptop projects.

Isn’t there already an e-ink laptop though? The one side e-ink and one side lcd Lenovo one.

1 Like

There is and one of our employees has one. The big difference is that the lenovo unit only allows a handful of tasks such as reading PDFs or unlocked EPUBS.

Lenovo’s updated ThinkBook Plus packs a more practical E Ink screen | Engadget

This looks to be a full windows experience display, so for example in my you could edit word or acrobat docs, or read email in e-ink

PS: despite what the engadget article says, full office support has never materialized

You could probably go two, maybe even three days on one charge. I was trying to calculate weight and imagining something around 500 grams.

Also, not a word on pen support.

There is something really distinctive about an e-Ink screen refresh and that had it. Not that I mind but I think for some who are getting used to 120hz refresh - this would be no-go.

Anything video related is obviously a no go from the start. But if you do your living writing (articles, books, reports, whatever) an e-ink screen is probably better than even 120 Hz since it doesn’t need to be refreshed. To me the appeal is that it is the digital equivalent to an IBM Selectric.

4 Likes

Agreed, I have always thought that an e-ink laptop would be ideal for people who do a lot of writing, especially on the go (light, long battery life, perfectly usable in outdoor venues).

2 Likes

I always felt that if there was an easy and lightweight way of attaching a clamshell keyboard to one of the Onyx Boox devices (the 10 inch or 13 inch variant, maybe even the 7.8 inch ones), one could could actually get a decent typewriting experience already. I occasionally use me Boox Note with a Bluetooth keyboard and it’s working quite alright for simple writing tasks. I just wished I could attach the keyboard in a stable way. Actually tried to build a foldable kickstand/cover using an old cover and hinges from a Lenovo Yoga 3 11 laptop, but I’m way too unskilled to make anything really trustworthy (or presentable).

There used to be a clamshell keyboard with variable width for various tablets, but at around 500g it unfortunately felt too bulky and heavy for my taste.

2 Likes

I used the Onyx bluetooth keyboard with the two little clamps for holding the Note Air. Worked pretty nice, but it wasn’t rigidly attached so it always felt a little risky. It was pretty awesome while outdoors though.

1 Like

Same reason I wish there was an e-ink phone. Long battery life far surpass the nees to watch video in some users situation.

Idea: give one of these to your kids so they can do school work but can’t play video game at playable speed.

2 Likes

I have the first Onyx Boox Note (a 13" device) and I’ve used with Google Docs and a BT keyboard a few times but that generation was still too clunky and cumbersome. Old Android version, weak CPU, things like that.

1 Like

Hisense makes a handful of eInk screen phones, some with color screens. But I don’t think they have access to google stuff.

A lot of kids want Apple stuff and Apple probably won’t ever go down this route. Anyhow - we’ve been finding recently Netflix is causing a huge problem on students: when a parent subscribes they get multiple accounts and they give one to their child who then sits and has it going secretly through lessons.
I caught one guy who never produced records of his technical experiments with Netflix on his phone. When challenged, he really didn’t understand the impact Netflix was having on his grades but he was using his phone for video and not to record his tests with oils and acrylics.