"'One Outlook" email client leaks out- Beginning of the end of standalone MS apps?

This has been a long time in gestation and now looks close to release. I have mixed feelings on it so far. On the one hand it is simpler for newer users and seems to bring forward the most used features making them more obvious/accessible.

OTOH, this is only going to further inflame those that are concerned about MS continued march to the cloud and subscription model ad it looks almost identical to the web based O365 outlook client.

@JoeS I thought I’d try my own click bait title since we’ve been discussing them here as of late :rofl:

BTW: I think more and more of these so called “leaks” are deliberate as at least for one thing, a way to gauge reaction to a new product direction without actually having to own it, if it’s really negative.

5 Likes

Oh, it’s going to be negative all right unless they can get the hodgepodge of hundreds of Outlook add-in providers on board with One Outlook. That’s going to be a no in many cases (especially old, abandoned ones) and, if so, that means corporations locked into certain Outlook add-ins will straight up say no to this new version of Outlook. For example, I know of numerous medical networks who will want to keep voicemail integration with Outlook and this most certainly removes that valuable feature. The common theme here is some “legacy” add-ins are required and One Outlook cannot do that as a web-based email client. This is a nice option as a replacement to the built-in email client to Windows 10 and 11, but that’s about it. One Outlook is not robust enough for all the customized use cases.

1 Like

Yes definitely, many of the vertical markets we serve as well are quite dependent on plugins for many of the Office apps. Excel being another app with a large group of 3rd party plug-ins.

OTOH, not endorsing or dismissing this point of view, but most of the MS developers we work with loathe plug-ins. With security and app stability being top of their list.

One even commented the other day exactly how much she despised them when the last office update broke one of their bigger Office customers Word and Outlook apps because of an incompatibility with the plug ins they were using (and which the developer had not updated themselves in over 2.5 years)

And FWIW this new "one outlook " will support third party plug ins, likely upon release, but they will have to re-certify /qualify them from what we’ve heard from multiple sources.

1 Like

I tried this the other day but I must have missed the part it wasn’t for regular email accounts but for business & student accounts. What I was able to see so far it looks nice, but not sure what exactly is better than the W10/11 mail app.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. It will be released initially for business and school but will fairly quickly, we hear, migrate to everyone.

I will go on the record as saying I like some of the UI changes as it does simplify it a bit.

I don’t see the point when there’s Mail (that if not appropriate can surely be a good base) and Outlook already.

I guess if Microsoft are going to mess around so much, that it’s a good thing that Thunderbird is ramping up development (and is now more independent from Mozilla).

MS mail is dead man walking allegedly

But… it’s a barebones email programme. They’ve barely changed in, what, two decades?

Is this just people trying to justify their jobs or something?

I’m far from knowing all of the details but that it’s “old” is part of the issue. Both from a code standpoint as it uses some very old windows framework.

But also believe it or not “email” is becoming a dirty word in MS marketing folks whereas outlook is “more descriptive and modern” both in name and fits better in to MS branding.

I don’t agree, just relaying things I’ve heard.

And an anecdotal datapoint, but millennials (we have a wave in our offices of late) despise both email software and the term as well

1 Like

I’m going to keep my Hotmail account just out of pure spite.

As for the youths… why they’d prefer mediums of communication that have them always be available to be the norm for work… well, it’s their lives…

1 Like

Can we already define Contact groups? You know, that thing that we could already do since before “Windows Live Mail”?

1 Like

My daughter just told me there was an “email must die !” thread on MacRumors a few months ago and they finally either locked it or deleted it because it got so heated. :shushing_face:

1 Like

:fire:Consider me inflamed! :fire:

I’ve been a supporter of the annual Office 365 subscription, but the software is downloaded and installed on my device. If the pull the same ■■■■ with Office that they are doing with the “new” Outlook, I hope it fails even worse than New Coke. :rage:

4 Likes

@dstrauss Can’t post them here due to NDA, but I can declare with certainty that you aren’t alone in your discomfort with multiple aspects of this “leak”.

It’s also my sense that the MS PR machine wasn’t ready for some of the pushback either.

This does speak to me anyway about a fundamental dilemma that all of the big software developers are facing around SAAS. While I’m fairly convinced of the numerous benefits for enterprise, down to medium size business, the benefits to individuals and small businesses are much murkier.

Things like cost, versus security/versus compatibility all factor in.

For an example of all of this, ask any small business long term user of QuickBooks about al the changes and about face moments they’ve experienced.

Peoplesoft who was very much a pioneer in SAAS also struggled mightily with this initially at least from what peers I know that work/worked there have shared with me. And honestly I think they essentially sidestepped some of the thornier aspects when they were acquired by Oracle.

So TLDR despite the hype from some players in this space including MS, we are still in early days in all this IMHO.

I have the same opinion of the MS “PR machine” that I do of those condescending defenders of the latest UI changes in their “justification” video. Seems the Apple “we know what’s best of you” liturgy has knew accolytes.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it’s a “we know best” thing in at least this case. I know from front line experience that email and more broadly communication is a huge and growing issue in almost all my customers.

Everything from security issues, to support to even the Millennial’s view of email as an anathema are all real issues. For instance at a young startup we’ve been working with which has two millennial founders. They also hated email as much as their generation and when they started the company they "banned " email.

Their tool of choice was/is Slack, but as they now prepare either to go public or possibly (likely) be acquired, they are being smacked in the face with the consequences of that choice for basic things like record keeping and information flow and currency.

So TLDR I think MS has no choice any longer that to try and adapt, and that it is much more complex to get “right” than they initially surmised. (and also likely why this is over two years late from what we hear).

1 Like

I understand, but what gets me is that only I have the right to be smug and arrogant, not the folks I am PAYING for the privilege… :woozy_face:

3 Likes

‘Go fast and break things’ is fine until others catch up with you, and then it becomes more ‘you reap what you sow’.

I have some sympathy for such attitudes (and more so those that support such companies), as trying new things and approaches does lead to advancement. But at the same time, there are often reasons why some things are as they are and just because something is newer, does not mean it is better. You can go too far in either direction.

I think at lot of it comes down to short-sightedness and immaturity.

I don’t have much time for Microsoft making these mistakes though. Their arrogance and hubris as been an issue for years.

2 Likes

Agreed on all counts. That’s also why I think that VC’s will often insist on "adult supervision " in companies they invest in typically in a COO type role where they reign in or say no to some of the more impractical or problematic ideas.

1 Like

All’s good until the authorities (especially the taxman) decide to take a gander…

1 Like