Oldest piece of computer (or computer adjacent) tech you still use regularly

The Asus Vivotab Note 8 was a fairly nice bit of kit. I wish that there was better locking mechanism for its pen, which I happened to lose twice. My Note 8 was on its second battery (they’re easy to replace) when I had to retire it last year, because the plastic buttons disintegrated, making it near impossible to turn it on or off. I replaced it with cheap Chuwi 10" Windows tablet with a Celeron processor

6 Likes

My oldest bit of kit still in use would be either My Dell XPS12 (2011?), which is now on its 3rd battery, or my Logitech Trackman marble (which is as old if not older than the XPS12).

My Asus note 8 is still on original battery, and it still last quite long ( about 4-6 hours mixed use), bless the Atom chip. Unfortunately I accidentally broke the USB port and the repair doesn’t fix the data line, so it’s no longer reliable.

I also use a newer Celeron tab as replacement, but I have to watch my battery usage much more careful to achieve the same usage time as the Atom tab.

4 Likes

Wow. I thought I kept my tech in service for a long time. That was such a great device.

Add to my list a P1007 HP Laser printer. Its still hooked into my Go2 dock but I print everything to the hub printer.

1 Like

Respect! I don’t think I keep my devices long enough anymore to make it worth swapping batteries. The last system I bought an aftermarket replacement battery for is that old X61t I mentioned above, and even there I only did it once. Now my Neato botvac is on its third battery pack, but only because the aftermarket options are terrible. :slight_smile:

I had to do a bit more work on that XPS12 to keep it in service. I had to replace the keyboard at some point in its life (luckily, I had access to another XPS12 that had failed which I could use for spare parts). And basically, every bit of rubber or soft-touch surface on the damned thing had disintegrated into a soft goo, so that had to be removed. The keyboard bezel is actually nicer with the soft-touch surface removed! I used black silicone to fill in the gaps where the rubber insets used to be. I use the XPS12 for loudspeaker measurements and for the occasional casual DJ stuff, where the flippable touch screen comes in handy. The XPS12 doesn’t have the advanced battery management functions of Dell’s later laptop models, so the batteries don’t seem to last very long. In any case, it’s an easy replacement, once you have the right screwdriver for the unusual screws holding the bottom of the laptop in place.

Oh, I forgot one more bit of old tech - the Dell SK-8115 keyboard that I’m currently using. I used to buy Dell PCs, but I’ve been building my own since 2013, and since I replaced my PC every 5 years or so before DIYing my own, that would put this keyboard at… 14 years old.

3 Likes

The XPS 12 had the oddest display. I guess it worked.

An Nvidia Shield TV. Still the best Android TV device out there, even though it was launched in 2015.

3 Likes

We still have a Windows XP Toshiba Tecra M7 Tablet PC hooked up to a plotter. The plotter is so old, there’s no drivers that I could find for the newer operating systems.

I do not recall how old it is, but it still works. The battery is long gone, but it will run off the AC.

3 Likes

My wife still uses our 2014 Mac Mini almost daily. I am actually writing this post on it, as I am in the den, watching football.

I still use a first gen iPad Air (2013) to read books (I feel like it’s overkill to use my Tab S8+ to run Kindle).

1 Like