Next Iphones only to have latest and fastest chips in top end models?

Haha, I have to admit this thought crossed my mind as well. Actually, maybe this means I can cash in on those remaining devices that I need to dstrauss. Like the X1T3 that still has warranty.

2 Likes

Not just iPhones, but some thinkpads and Dell’s XPS systems too

Just in Time has been an absolute disaster, not only in the tech industry, but the entire manufacturing sector. The Business School geniuses that brought us the theory could not forsee anything significantly interfering with the logistics of transporting millions of component parts around the world and their ability to arrive in real time. They should have read a book on Chaos Theory. Probably should be required reading in MBA programs.

Here on the east coast, the scramble to reestablish more traditional manufacturing methods has caused a mad rush to acquire the few large parcels of land that exist here on the coast to build critical warehousing. The more despirate industries are being forced to consider buying and cleaning up old industrial sites to assemble enough land to build their large facilities. My small firm has been quite busy participating in the evaluations. We are not likely to catch up for a decade.

4 Likes

When I was in B School (stone tablet days) JIT was just getting a toehold in inventory control, to push back the storage of inventory further in the supply chain and puff up not only profits but reduce inventory taxes. Retailers LOVED IT, not so much suppliers. But then they got too smart by a half (or three quarters, led by the uber proficient Timmy Cook at Apple) in production scheduling - now it’s biting them in the a$$ as they so justly deserve for putting the pressure on thinly capitalized upstream component suppliers…

2 Likes

@Bronsky and @dstrauss:

Adding the complexities of trans global shipping for sequential partial fabrication and assembly to JIT was a special kind of arrogance. Basing those processes in nations with questionable histories on the sanctity of IP and contract rights should have triggered the clawback of billions in executive compensation.

4 Likes