HP Dragonfly Folio G3

We haven’t had any hands on with this yet though we expect once it gets closer to shipping we will as several customers we are sure will be interested in this.

The two notable changes over the previous gen are the adoption of a 3:2 aspect ratio display (definite win for a least US business customers) and that it is no longer a 2 in 1, but a conventional laptop form factor.

I’m curious about how this change will be received. On the one hand, we know from our own “census” data, the 2 in one form factor has virtually never been a top line feature requirement. OTOH, “influencers” often are the catalysts for adoption of newer/innovative tech in business.

On the third hand, adopting a more conventional form factor should allow HP to address some heat issues with the current Gen Dragonfly.
HP Elite Dragonfly G3 hands-on - The Verge

Product link (image and link added by @JoeS)

2 Likes

Win some, lose some. I see no mention of a pen so I guess it’s moot.

1 Like

I missed that but you are right. I’ll ping HP and see if it’s been dropped. I’m also wondering now in our admittedly small base of users of the current Dragonfly what level of pen usage is.

Purely anecdotal, but the two more prominent users I’m aware of, do use touch but I haven’t seen them using a pen with them. :thinking:

1 Like

I recently bought an HP Spectre X360 14 rather than the new Dragon Fly G3 mainly because the latter is no longer a 2-in-1. I was using a Surface Pro 6 sans keyboard beside an external monitor and really liked the extra desktop (physical furniture) space using that configuration. The Spectre I’m using in tent mode uses about the same amount of space. However, the Dragon Fly just wouldn’t cut it, using so much space beside my monitor. Other than that, the Dragon Fly was appealing.

2 Likes

Lisa has weighed in on the Dragonfly Folio G3 - excllent as always:

Still really LOVE this design, but that YogaBook i9 has caught my eye…

And WOW, that G3 pricing:

Base: i5-1245U/16gb/WUXGA/256gb is $3373

Upgraded (not top specs): i7-1255U/16gb/3k2kOLED/1tb/5g is $4278

1 Like

Yes but HP totally nailed the luxury feel this time out. Not saying it’s worth it for most people but it will turn heads in the C suite

And unfortunately, if anything the Lenovo 7i had a somewhat fragile feel to it. Though that’s just an impression from a very brief hands on.

Yes but also not the lower end more reasonable configurations that will be the big seller, though it’s still pricey. Many don’t need 1TB storage and 16GB RAM in their systems (including me)

I can have either the ThinkPad X1 Fold 16.3 or Asus Zenbook Fold 17 for that kind of dough. Geez.

EDIT: Having now finished the video (and played with the ordering page at HP), I have to say DragonFly Folio G3 is what Surface Laptop Studio should have been. I like the form factor, just not willing to pay those prices.

1 Like

:+1: :+1:
I feel like I am all over the map at the start of 2023.

1. I want the fewest devices possible
  2. I like the YogaBook 9i dual screens but it does look chunky; especially accessories
  3. The DragonFly G3 is a great design, but as they said in Used Cars “That’s too @#$%^& high!”
  4. Despite abandoning the MacBook, still stuck in Appletraz with iPhone
  5. My iPad Pro 11 battery drains sitting in my briefcase for days on end
  6. My Surfacer Pro 8 just keeps chugging along…

Said no one ever at a CarMax… :rofl:

Then you’ll just be griping about lack of screen space…

2 Likes

Well, I went back and scratched #7 - will wait for the late fall Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde feud of the Fold5/15 Ultra to tear my heart out…

Wait - where is the iPhone 18 Mega-Ultra rumor of a folding iPad Mini with a siloed pen…or a Galaxy TriFold 1

1 Like

Could have been, yes, should have been: not sure. Given the giant base and prominent vents on the SLS, imo the focus for the SLS should be performance. It handles like a beast, at least give it beastly performance.

There’s definitely a market for Dragonfly type mobile devices, but it would be great if we could keep workhorse type devices in this form factor as well.

1 Like

, agreed. I think the SLS fills the role of a more powerful Surface device but just the 11th gen H cpu’s were meh. With 12th gen newer the SLS makes more sense. Also while I like the look and form factor of the Dragon Fly G3, it is not as lightweighted as I would have expected it to be. It has similar weight as my cheapass Acer Travelmate 14" touchscreen laptop with similar battery size and which is not a premium device at all (the more premium version of that weights 300 gr less than Dragon Fly G3 and the prices are not even remotely in the same ballpark :zipper_mouth_face:).

1 Like