New HP Surface Go Competitor

So a somewhat interesting update on this system.

As expected , one of our customers did submit one of these for our certification tests. Two noteworthy results.

1. The display is superb, significantly better overall than the one on the Go with greater gamut, linearity and excellent accuracy out of the box, enough that for the vast majority of uses even with photo or video editing, there isn’t a need for external calibration.

2. The second thing is that performance in aggregate was better than I anticipated and in fact despite only having 4GB RAM, it ended up about the middle between the Pentium Gold Surface Go 3 with 8GB RAM and the i3 Go 3.

We are still examining the results, but a big factor seems to be that it throttles the processor much less than the Go 3 does under our typically heavy/worst case load tests especially the longer (over 10 minutes) ones.

PS: It also seems to have very good battery life. easily besting either of the Go’s .
It makes me wish they offered an 8GB RAM Core I3 option as well.

PPS: If you are a lighter more “casual” user the Core I3 Go3 will feel a bit more responsive in general use. It’s only under greater load that throttling kicks in on the Go 3

6 Likes

One final update on this system. We finally got a response from HP on pen support for this tablet.

The answer is YES it does support pen input, specifically the same pens that they use with their Spectre’s. Which is cross compatible with the MS Surface pen.

I can confirm that, as I’ve been using this system with a Surface Pen this morning. It also supports the new slim pen though not the haptic feedback (so just like the Go)

So that all being said, this gets a bit more attractive as a lower cost pen enabled 11 inch display device.

I’d have loved it if it had 8GB RAM though as I noticed the occasional chugging when using Adobe Photoshop Elements today

3 Likes

@Desertlap

Power and RAM for sure. But, the camera gives me pause as well. Seems gimmicky. I would be concerned about durability.

2 Likes