New devices announced at MWC 2022

I buy that. It never kept me from a purchase but I also never liked the feeling of a keyboard on my hands in tablet mode. Nor having to be sure to lay it down where the keys wouldn’t get scratched or dirty. You don’t want to slide the thing on a table or anywhere else, either, because of that scratch issue.

I say it because quite a few companies have stuck with the 360 design (and those haven’t been perfect either), but few have with the stand one.

Lenovo, Dell, HP, Samsung, Asus, even LG all have 360 2-in-1s. Many several generations deep now.

To be clear, I don’t like the feeling of the keyboard on the hands, nor that it’s even more exposed. I just think the much more stable and comfortable normal laptop position wins out for a lot of people.

And as I said, 360 designs are easier to design due to the majority of the electronics being in the base.

Related to the new ARM ThinkPad, apparently it implements a new security approach by MS:

1 Like

Coming generally to 12th gen and later Intel chipsets as well via " MS secure core" initiative. The new Samsung Galaxy Books are the first announced with them but you are going to see a ton more in the next few months, including allegedly of couple of MS own Surface devices

1 Like

I dig my 2-in-1 Galaxy Book Flex. It’s not perfect, but it’s very good. And it provides, IMO, a better laptop experience. There are just a lot of times when I need a screen to be propped up and any angle I prefer (even near vertical), and that’s much easier to do on my Flex than it is on her surface, which requires a flat surface to rest on.

The Flex isn’t as good of a tablet (keys and all), but I’m not use this 15.6" beast as a tablet. It’s more like a “canvas” or “notebook” or some such thing. I flip it around, use a kickstand, and draw on it. I don’t hold it. ??? That critique always seemed weird to me. Who does that? It offers a function that’s different because the screen is so large- both as a tablet and a laptop.

Tablets are great, and the Surface style is great too. It offers a new, different kind of functionality. But I don’t know if it’s “the wave of the future”. I think it’s just another off-shoot of the present. 2-in-1’s definitely have a place in the market. And I’m glad that Samsung and Lenovo are making them.

2 Likes