Need to replace my beloved Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14

The last time I bought a new laptop was after asking for suggestions on the old tabletpc review forum, and that was my current ThinkPad Yoga 14. I love it to death, but it’s 8 years old, the fan randomly gets super loud, and I can’t even upgrade it to Windows 11 because the processor is too old. I’ve finally admit I have to actually replace the laptop. TabletPC Review helped me find a laptop last time, so, here I am again!

I used the web archive to find the Q&A form from the old site. I think using that will help me explain what I’m looking for.

1. What is your budget?
$800

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
Possibly. My current laptop was a floor model at Best Buy.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
I’d prefer to stay around 14".

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
3-4 hours is fine. It’ll be plugged in 90% of the time.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
Graphic design and illustration, with some occasional 3d modeling.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
Windows, 64-bit

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
Adobe Creative Cloud (primarily Photoshop and Illustrator), Blender, and possibly Clip Paint Studio

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
No, but I’d a dedicated graphics card for using the programs listed above.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
No

Screen Specifics
1. Any preference on screen resolution?
Whatever the standard resolution is now. Is that still 4k or whatever?

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
Not likely.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
YES! This is mandatory. I prefer Wacom, especially since I already have Wacom Bamboo stylus.

Component Specifics
1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
1TB storage and 8GB is what I currently have. That’s suited my needs so far. I love never having to worry about whether or not I have enough space for something. I wouldn’t mind having expandable memory, but it’s not necessary.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
I need at least 3 full-size USB ports, so I don’t go nuts every time I need to plug something in. I’ll need a SD or microSD card slot, also.

So yeah, that’s about it. Does a laptop fitting this criteria exist?

2 Likes

Have you looked at the current Yoga models?

They often have coupon codes you can stack with the regular sale, for example in Canada RFD forums lists the current 14" model with an attractive price.

Unfortunately, I’m not savvy with an equivalent US deal hunters forum, but I’ll bet you can get an even cheaper price State side.

2 Likes

Hey, welcome back! :slight_smile: Looking forward to seeing you again in another 8 years. :vb-grin: As for tablet suggestions, have you glanced over the list of Win11 tablets with stylus? It’s probably not complete, but it has a lot of the big players.

Are you thinking of getting a new system? $800 is not a lot to work with, but it should be possible to find a decent system. You could even check the Lenovo outlet, if you can deal with their shipping madness.

Something like this looks like a decent deal. 11th gen Core i5, not too old. Edit: but reviews are so so, not enough drive space, probably not enough ports… Just saying there are relatively new systems in that price range that might fit the bill.

2 Likes

This just went on clearance. Yoga 6 with Ryzen

1 Like

I’ve looked at Lenovo’s site a little bit, but I couldn’t find a way to search for only 2-in-1s that support pen pressure styluses. So, I figured it’d be worth coming here where people might be more familiar with pressure-sensitive laptops. Hopefully there’s a US version of that RFD forum or an equivalent somewhere.