Mechanical keyboard and ultrawide touchscreen peripheral

So my initial reaction to seeing this a couple of weeks ago that this was a very expensive albeit also exceptionally well made solution in search of a problem.

The mechanical keyboard is very good as is the display. The display also supports 10 points on Windows, though only a single point (right mouse click emulation) on a Mac.

It doesn’t support any pen tech and has no native smarts, in other words it’s a peripheral only.

I also think they missed the mark in where they aimed this. I could actually see some scenarios where it would be solid with either the 12.9 iPad Pro or Tab S8 + or Ultra as a combination keyboard and toolbar type device.

Or alternately adding some type of pen support would make it much more useful on Windows IMHO.

I’d be curious about others take on this, it is unique regardless.

This Mechanical Keyboard Has a 12-Inch Touchscreen Built-In (gizmodo.com)

1 Like

Two quotes stick out in my mind:

"Some of the other suggested use cases for this accessory in the keyboard’s promotional imagery actually seem quite handy. For instance, you could use the keyboard’s screen to take notes during a video conference call, leaving the larger screen for showing the talking heads of all the participants.”

" The biggest issue, however, might be the keyboard’s $390 price tag. You can easily find a much larger hi-def external display and a passable mechanical keyboard for cheaper than this.”

The former speaks to my use case, the latter says you can get a cheap tablet and decent keyboard for not much more…

I’d probably buy one if it were certain to work w/ a Raspberry Pi and it had stylus support — really has a Radio Shack Model 100 feel to it — it would be handy for running a CNC.

The other thing I’d want would be a TrackPoint.

2 Likes

Yeah, now that you mention it it could be a modern Model 100. Perhaps someone will figure out a way to stick a Raspberry Pi inside. There are a couple of barebones linux based word processors and organizer apps that run on the Pi…

1 Like

Looks like an ergonomic disaster.

And kind of pointless now that Asus have released, well announced, individual narrow displays.

So what’s your point other than your seeming tendency to dump on most things?

It’s certainly at least a little better than typing on the display of an iPad as the keyboard is actually pretty good as smaller keyboards go with decent key travel and definitely a clicky feel.

Additionally the display is also fairly quality.

The Model 100 was an ergonomic disaster, and any large tablet also is for that matter, if you are typing on the on screen keyboard, and you could say the same about any modern smartphone.

I don’t anyone will use it by itself for extended periods. They might as a combination of a good keyboard combined with a screen that seems made for things like a toolbar in a lot of apps.

For the record, I think it’s wildly overpriced and/or over-specced, and like I said, my first reaction was that it was a solution in search of a problem, but OTOH, I’m always I favor of trying something new, even if the first try doesn’t work, it may ultimately lead to genuinely useful innovation.

And for that matter, I know of at least one customer that wants one specifically as a keyboard/toolbar device for use with Adobe’s InDesign.

I’m sure it’ll fit some niche, as Asus have found success but their Duo devices, but they are integrated and Asus can subsidise them if need be. And it doesn’t change that it does not look ergonomic. I bet they won’t stay in business.

Not going to dignify you with a proper response to the personal jab.

Ok. apologies , It just seems the majority of your responses to my posts have been negative as of late, but that doesn’t mean I should take a shot either.

Although my best art attempts are stick figures, I’ve seen a lot of drawing videos on YouTube, and they ALWAYS struggle with usable canvas vs toolbars and controls. This looks to be the perfect solution for that. A niche, but then I’m beginning to think EVERY user is a niche except for us office drones that live in Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Acrobat all day long…

FWIW, my solution when I used InDesign and Illustrator regularly was two monitors — larger was for document/drawing area, the other was for all the pallets.

The alternative is to burn some brain cells on memorizing the keyboard shortcuts for the pallets you need access to and bring them up as needed.

I don’t know that this would be that useful for InDesign since many of the pallets one would want to use need to be tall/skinny — if it affords rotation, it could be pretty cool though.

This design is tolerable on laptop because laptop keyboard are flat, not blocking your vision or hand.

This on the other hand, look extremely uncomfortable if you want to reach up and do something. Because the key are tall and full sized, you either to knock your hand over something or has to maneuver your wrist in an uncomfortable way. Flat on the table screen doesn’t help with neck either ( i always elevate the back of my laptop a bit with stand).

What they could do to improve the design is adding a popup hinge between the screen and the keyboard so the screen can elevate from the flat surface to improve visibility and access. But again, more moving parts =more failure chance, and nothing prevent you from putting the whole keyboard on a laptop stand so YMMV.

The lack of pen input also doesn’t do it any favour, but again the difficult access to the screen already kill any pen usage desire IMO.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting point. Given that at least right now it’s only a peripheral and with no standalone functionality, when I got hands on with the prototype, that’s the way that I used it.

In other words , as a keyboard on a desk or in my lap, or alternately using the touch screen with various tool bars.

If you actually did try to use it model 100 style, in other words on its own, alone, I can see where the movement between keyboard and touchscreen could be awkward at best.

That all being said, they did share that there were multiple software efforts to make specific optimized use of it including at Adobe (like optimized toolbars or pallettes ). However I would point out that’s the same story we always get when something “new” like this is shown to us, and if/what they deliver is often very different.

I do agree, that at least a this point that the Asus options mentioned earlier in the thread or much more “fully baked”.

I stand by my belief that the design has some possibilities as an iPad Pro peripheral , but that hill is an even steeper climb to realize, given Apple tyrannical control of things like user experience with third party peripherals.

If the customer I mention does actually purchase any, he’s promised to let us spend time with it as well and if that happens I’ll post back here.

1 Like