macOS Ventura

For those interested in macOS developments, Ars just posted an article about “lesser known features” that they like:

1 Like

Yikes, 6.21 GB. This will take a while out here in the hinterlands on antiquated and inadequate cellular. :yawning_face:

1 Like

On a positive note, one of the improvement is exactly this:

Rapid Security Response, [is] pitched as a way for Apple to provide smaller, more timely updates to macOS that don’t require a system restart.

So while it doesn’t help you on the initial install, some future updates should be way smaller and quicker.

1 Like

One note of caution for those considering installing the beta. There are multiple issues with VPN’s and upstream firewalls at the present time. They appear to be a combo of changes (security) that Apple made along with some bugs. OTOH if you aren’t using a VPN it’s pretty stable though stage manager is still rather glitchy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I don’t use a VPN, just Private Relay.

Installed and everything seems fine. Now once more into the breach, my friends, with iPadOS 16…

1 Like

Ya know, I just got a $50 iPhone HDMI adapter last week from Apple because AirPlay didn’t work on a Mac mini. I wish somebody had hinted that it works in Ventura. Oh well, it’s all good. Much easier to use AirPlay than to fiddle with cables and such. iPad does AirPlay to the Mac mini now too of course.

Sidecar wasn’t connecting to my iPP until I restarted it and the Mac. I guess rebooting one more time after major updates is a thing on iStuff too. Anyway, I could swear things are smoother & quicker now, especially canvas pinch zooming and rotation in Rebelle 5. I should check CSP to see if that’s still choppy… but I’m done for today.

Fo those that want to test try out betas of new MacOS but don’t want to or can’t actually commit their machine to it, virtualization is a very good way to do it. Ventura has this essentially “baked in” but these tools also work on older MacOS versions as well.

Note that no virtualization is 100% regardless of OS especially as there a penalties in terms of raw performance and also compatibility with 3rd party hardware devices