MacBook Air M2 (2022)

The next version of Apple’s MacBook Air is here. I mean it’s been here for a few weeks, but now @lisaMobileTechReview has a review up, which seems like as good a time as any to start a thread.

5 Likes

Saw one at BB last Saturday - it’s smaller and lighter than it looks in photos/videos, and I did like the midnight color (black with hint of navy blue off angle?). Most impressive is that closed it is almost exactly the keyboard deck of the MacBook Pro 14. Screen’s better than prior version, but far from the miniLED on the Pros.

3 Likes

Dave2D does quite a good review - his main finding is just how quickly performance drops off because of thermals and a lack of a fan (which is what you will pay for with the 13" MacBook Pro) when running sustained tasks - but you have to remember this is the base level, entry Mac laptop which you might not be using for heavy processor tasks anyway.

Pricing seems strange when compared to the M1 MacBook Air which was groundbreaking compared to similar laptops.

EDIT

Having just watched Marques Brownlee’s video - he suggests buyers look at the $1400 version (bigger SSD) otherwise stay with the original $999 M1 Air

1 Like

That’s what I decided after thinking heavily upon the situation. Until @dstrauss decides to fire sale his 14", I am using a 16/512 M1 MBA. I kid about the 14"…I really really like this M1 MBA and even more so after hearing about the thermals…

I hope to use this thing for 5 years. Will that end up being what happens? I am a user on this forum, so I’ll be lucky to last 5 months on the same computer. :smiley:

5 Likes

You would “really really love a M1 Pro MBP14.”

2 Likes

Well in the spirit or being an enabler, a core tenet of this board, the midnight version of the Air is IMHO the prettiest laptop Apple has made to date, though it is a bit of a fingerprint magnet. The new starlight is also nice and seems to be the least prone to the finger print issue.

2 Likes
  • Puts fingers in ears * LALALALALALALA! I can’t hear you!!!
4 Likes

Too late, the voice is in your head now…

1 Like

Given that, I like the video title: “M2 Macbook Air Review - Needs More Air”. :smiley: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Rumor has it @dstrauss has moved from the MacBook Pro 14 to an SP8. I don’t know what this means for impending fire sales, but either way perhaps steel yourself against upcoming temptation. :vb-grin:

Edit: and more on-topic, there’s now a teardown of the M2 Air, with indeed little in the way of heat management.

Shhh!!! I have been trying to ignore that I read that!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Fire sale comes after a short vacation trip next week - first week of August all you tech lusting tribe get first crack before the FleaBay riff raff!

PS - it will be in MBA M2 territory but with real processing power, miniLED, real ports, and a 1tb flush mounted SD card backup.

Wait - why would I sell that :scream: :scream: :woozy_face: :vb-unhappy:

3 Likes

Don’t get your hopes up just yet guys - every time I read that “PS” my stomach turns - what am I think? I feel like I’m thinking backwards here. I paid $1957 for that MBP14, and it is unsurpassed in power and specs to ANY computer I’ve ever owned. The M2 MBA with 16gb/1tb is $1899, and no miniLED, no M1 Pro, no SD card slot no HDMI port, no class leading SSD, for $58 and 0.8 lbs additional weight.

So what if I need to carry both the MBP14 and iPP11 - I’ll only be saving one pound over the SP8 plus iPP11 in my bag. I’ve already experienced the incredible synergy across all my Apple devices; the iPP works flawless as an external monitor…

I need to man up - bend my file system needs to my needs - Apple and Microsoft will come to fear my computer powers…

3 Likes

The MBP14 sounds freaking amazing, but didn’t you say you need the SP8 for work? Are you thinking of keeping both the SP8 and MBP14? Full disclosure, I am not eyeing your MBP, just curious. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Go @dstrauss!!!

1 Like

I’ve already heard some snarky comments that Apple has once again hit a G4 cube moment, where design may have significantly negatively impacted functionality.

Even I, as a long time Apple observer am surprised by how minimal the cooling structure seems to be.

3 Likes

Macrumors is a bleep show about it right now. :smiley:

Longer term review of the new Air. Apple seems to have a knack for making products that are greater than just the sum of it’s parts. Everyone I’ve talked to that has one just loves it. (though they all say the blue smudges really easily)
Video Review: One Month With the New M2 MacBook Air - MacRumors

3 Likes

@dstrauss Are you moonlighting as a writer for Zdnet ? :laughing:

I bought Apple’s M2 MacBook Air and now I’m weeping | ZDNET

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just call me Chris from now on…Guess it’s a good thing the M1 MBP14 doesn’t come in midnight black or I’d be toast too…(although I did study all the displaylink workarounds when I first saw that midnight black fingerprint magnet)…

1 Like