Let's talk about the elephant in your pants

(Subtitled: The Unbearable Un-lightness of modern cellphones.)

Much of the media and discussion in recent years has been “when will cellphones get to $2,000?” One of the Galaxy Folds debuted at $1,800 and Apple’s probably not far behind. What we SHOULD be talking about is how danged heavy are these things gonna get. For perspective:

| Ozs | Grams
| 32 | 907 | First “brick” “cell phone”…
| 13 | 368 | Motorola “Bag Phone”…
| 3.1 | 88 | Motorola Star Tac…
| 4.6 | 130 | HTC Droid Incredible…
| 4.7 | 133 | iPhone 3G…
| 4.6 | 129 | iPhone 6…
| 6.7 | 188 | iPhone 7 Plus…
| 7.4 | 209 | Nokia Lumia 1520…
| 5.8 | 165 | MS Lumia 950 XL…
| 6.1 | 171 | Galaxy Note 5…
| 6.3 | 174 | iPhone X…
| 5.8 | 163 | Galaxy S9…
| 8.5 | 240 | iPhone 13 Pro Max…
| 8.1 | 229 | Galaxy S22 Ultra…
| 9.6 | 271 | Galaxy Z Fold 3…
| 10 | 284 | Surface Duo 2…

People, we’re back up to half pound cell phones BEFORE cases, covers, pop handles, stick on card/wallet pouches etc. I realize some of that is associated with increasing screen size and the quest for one device to rule them all. But isn’t there an ergonomic upper limit to what we’re going to lug around for voice and SMS?

If I’m going to do 12 ounce curls, I expect there to be beer, not recorded voices telling me they’re from the “credit card department” or my vehicle warranty is about to expire. And with a beer, the more reps you do the lighter it gets.

If it doesn’t stop, we’re going to have to bring back cargo pants/shorts…

4 Likes

Where’s Mesosphere when we really need him? Seriously, @Bishop you are so right. But the cellphone is no longer a “phone.” In fact my children are loath to call except for FaceTime with grandkids - it’s iMessage or email for most purposes.The cellphone should rightly be called the “mini tablet-camera-websurfer-tv-theater-phone” and hope they can keep it to 1/2# or less…

1 Like

Huh, I owned all these, except it was an iPhone 6s. Personally I’m back to 4.8 / 135g, thanks to the iPhone 12 mini. Basically the same weight as my iPhone 3g. Almost 14 years later, still the same weight. Not bad!

Edit: unlike yours truly :vb-grin:

1 Like

I get the same, especially from second child. But nobody under 30 wants to deal with email. Remember, they coined the acronym “TLDR.”

2 Likes

It has been driving me NUTS - even my clients prefer texts to emails…record keeping is a nightmare far worse than keeping emails with your client files.

1 Like

Broker/dealers have record keeping regulations that include text messages. Lots of literature about federal enforcement actions against employees (and covered entities allowing) use of SnapChat. Compliance nightmare.

Even when it’s not compliance, it is a disaster trying to find which medium (email, text, handwritten notes) hols the language change they requested. Too much for an old feeble mind…

1 Like

@Bishop - you made me use my brain this morning. After posting about the clogged pipe by text messaging, I went to my new favorite laptop, screen captured a text exchange with a client about his switching to Mac, and pasted directly into OneNote

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

I now have the text conversation in my notes just like emails -

2 Likes

Which should also work for those using Your Phone/Phone Link while connected to an Android phone. Kludgy, but inspired. Thanks Dale.

1 Like

Lie everything computing now a days, it’s a kludge. One thing that struck me though was how the conversation thread was separate and labeled properly by author - my attempts and forwarding text conversations always end up as one big block of text that needs to be hand separated and labeled by author.

YUCK!

1 Like

I don’t think my ex would call it an elephant but the right size at least the last time they played with it. I think their preference for medium(in todays marketing standards) devices is apparent as they keeps replacing their phones with the regular iphones & android phones devices & not the bigger Pro, Plus & Ultra models.

1 Like

I think the real issue is the lack of decent pockets in women’s clothing. Thankfully, some companies are recognizing the issue and I am the proud owner of several dresses with very generous pockets.

2 Likes

I remember trying on a pair of women marketed shorts & the pocket barely fit my car keys in the front. The back pocket had more room for phone & keys but who wants to sit on that. I also didn’t want to bring a bag with me as this was going to be an outdoor pool event in the desert. So I went with something more butch just so I can fit my phone & car keys.

1 Like