Leaving Windows for the Walled Garden - Grail Hunt

How did you ever find me? :rofl:

2 Likes

At least I must be on to something hardware wise - my alert was for a refurb base model M1 Pro MBP14 with the 1tb drive; no response for 20 days, then they appeared again late last night and gone by morning, with still plenty of the constantly available 10c/16c/1tb refurb models remaining.

2 Likes

To answer a question I received for the benefit of the tribe - why was I focusing on the base M1 MBP 14 with 1tb ssd:

1. I am NOT a creative editing 8k videos for YouTube;
  2. After reading/viewing many reviews, very little real world difference between 8c and 10c M1 Pro MBP - I dislike synthetic benchmarks;
  3. M2 Pro MBP14 is an unnecessary $510 upcharge compared to refurb M1
  4. Refurb M2 MBA was only $20 more than M1 Pro MBP14, but (a) less powerful; (b) no dual monitor support; (c) no mLED nor 120hz display. Only lighter and “prettier.”
  5. Needed 1tb for: (a) backlog of two law firms’ worth of client files that are accessed frequently; and (b) large library of scanned and original photos.

And the ultimate question - why do you keep praising the SP8 but running back to Apple? Besides the simple answer that I am insane, I just really like the hardware and software integration from wrist to desktop among and between my devices.

Are You Not Entertained? GIF - Gladiator Russell Crowe ...

This will end my posting on my wandering in the wilderness on personal computing to preserve all our sanity and focus only on topics of group relevance and interest (such as ChapGPT, etc.)

4 Likes

Interesting thread this, I have an apple watch, iPad Pro 11" with a pen for note taking and travelling to watch movies and a MacBook air which I tend to use day to day (apart from work locked down laptop).

I keep thinking the iPad Pro sits there not doing a lot unless I am travelling/taking notes, so keep looking at Windows 2 in 1 devices. I’m currently looking at the new Samsung Book3 360, but then think there is nothing really wrong with the current setup!

2 Likes

You won’t really know until you try for a while. If you do decide to try it make sure you get it from a place with a very generous return policy and don’t sell off any of your Apple stuff until you’re beyond the return period.

3 Likes

What do you use for alerts on the refurb store?

1 Like

Refurb-tracker.com, but not real impressed as I missed several listings before I ever got an alert. As far as I can tell, Apple usually refreshes 9-10 pacific time, but then sometimes throughout the day.

NOTE TO THE TRIBE

The MBP14 refurb went back to Apple unopened - it was not what I ordered, base MBP14 with 1tb drive, but a base with 512gb upgraded to 10c CPU. When I questioned support they insisted it was what I ordered, I held my ground and then they said they haven’t had the 1tb version “for months” but this was better - but I needed the 1tb.

No longer hunting and will just wait to see what develops this fall between MS, Apple, and Samsung.

4 Likes

So the 10-core is a no-go for you? Because there’s one there with 1 TB right now. No 14” 8-core 1TB though.

My burn to search was “on the cheap” because the 8c/1tb SKU was even cheaper than a refurb M2 MBA. Not saying this was the last straw (never is it seems) but just tired now. And now I’ve lied on my promise to shut down reports on my shenanigans.

You know what you need is a do it all device that. Something that can work as a laptop and tablet, like a Surface Pro 8…

4 Likes

@dstrauss: time for comic relief

2 Likes

Nice shot across the bow @James - but it is SOOOOOOOOO TRUE

As for you @Bishop -

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m posting here once again as a placeholder for a future update on my grail quest - I’ll fill you all in in a week or so (gotta get past Mother’s Day/Birthday - yes, this year they are three days apart - talk about pressure) when I get ready to post the SP* and Duo Uno tandem for sale…

1 Like

This grail hunt seems like it’s jinxed but good luck anyway! :+1:

You don’t know HOW jinxed. Everything’s been going well and then tonight doing a redline comparison on a contract I could not get the Mac version of Word to show the deletions as strike through - it was creating a balloon showing what had been deleted - finally found it was an option you had to check under Balloon Options AFTER I panicked and copied the two files to my SP8 to do the redline…GEEZ…just when I thought all was well after the last two weeks.

Still I’m going to stay the course, at least until the NEXT PANIC moment. Besides, I don’t know how much of a “grail quest” it is any longer because it has morphed into an operating system switch with no single device solution in sight. But that’s ok, because I am really not happy with the nature and direction of M$'s business model.

AND YES, I know it is ironic because I’m still dependent upon Office 365 either way…

3 Likes

This is the most entertaining part of this site. :vb-agree: :vb-lol:

5 Likes

1 Like

Location, location, location - isn’t that what they say? In Amarillo and at our hotel MISERABLE 5MBPs LTE (I’m on the SP8 at moment) - here by the botanical gardens

Explanation: had to switch back to SP8 because the Word version on Mac just MANGLED my document comparison and DROPPED many of the proposed changes by my client in the compared draft - A MAJOR NO NO!

I can hear headshaking going on @Bronsky, @Bishop, @Dellaster, and @Desertlap - knock it off! :no_good_man: :face_exhaling: :crazy_face:

2 Likes