iPadOS 16: Now we know why iPad Air 5 has M1 chip

BTW: we did a quick check of RAM usage with a handful of IOS apps. The vast majority consumed in the 1-2GB range with only ProCreate going above 3GB, and even then only with loading multiple very complex docs.

TLDR for 98% of users, they aren’t likely to come up even 8GB as a limit, let alone 16GB.

Of course, now that they can, new/updated apps might get more liberal in use of RAM, but that’s TBD

2 Likes

I’m curious how much RAM an app like Clip Studio Paint would use compared to Procreate since it’s basically a desktop port. I switch between it and Procreate quite a bit both due to the extra features, and unlimited layers CSP gives me compared to Procreate. So I’ll start a sketch in Procreate, and finish it in CSP. I never notice any slowdowns moving it over and adding more layers. It’s definitely faster than it was on my old Windows machine.

I haven’t used Clip studio so it wasn’t an app I looked at when I did my informal check. We do have a couple of people here that do use it, So I’ll see if I can hi jack their iPads at some point this week and take a look.Anecdotally I do recall someone telling me that on Android it takes all the RAM it can get.

1 Like

Quick update, one of the engineers that uses it says, that the most he’s seen it use on his 8GB RAM M1 iPad Pro is just over 2.5GB. That makes sense as they tout it even on the standard iPad so it’s likely it’s tuned for that.

They could I suppose, come out with a new Pro version that would take better advantage of more RAM. He does believe they are also using their own custom VM scheme at present as the temporary cache files can get fairly large according to his observations.

PS: Apple has always put much faster storage generally in all their iPads, compared to the majority of Android tablets (typically EMMC class) including Samsungs until relatively recently with the Tab S6 and later. That doesn’t extend to their lower level lines though.

2 Likes

64gb of storage is an abomination under any circumstances - come on Srouji, time to teach Timmy to move beyond upsale economics…

Just to follow up, I received the ViewSonic today and I’m sure glad I didn’t go for anything heavier than its 8.8lbs. With Mac Mini and cabling I had to tighten the 11lb-limit VESA arm to the max or it would start lowering on its own. It’s looking lovely, no problems, and one pleasant surprise: nowhere did I read that it was anti reflective. It really helps.

The Mounting

The Screen

Wow, controls on the front! I thought that was contrary to monitor design thinking nowadays. Love it!

For the M1 Mac, a monitor will not give HiDPI options unless the monitor is at least 4k. That means with a 1440p you go native or you go blurry. Unless, that is, you install a little GitHub app called BetterDummy. Works like… magic!

I chose to go with 75% (1080p) HiDPI with this 1440p monitor

I haven’t used a monitor larger than 15.6” in a decade. Such a luxurious expanse of pixels. :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

had not heard of better dummy before. I may suggest that to a couple of customers.

Thanks!

So IMHO Apple is not handling the rollout of Stage Manager well at all. So the 64GB version of the 5th gen air cant fully run stage manger either, due to lack of storage space.

They might have been better off saying that it was a pro only feature and leaving it there. We didn’t catch this as our lab air is the 256GB configuration.

64GB iPad Air 5 lacks memory swap despite Stage Manager 9to5Mac

3 Likes

Is the limitation that each of the simultaneously running apps should have access to 16GB swap space each? If so, 64GB would be tight indeed. I wonder if we’ll also find out about a free space requirement on 128GB models.

1 Like

I wonder about 128GB, too, since that’s what my M1 iPP 11 has. Maybe demanding apps will struggle if you try to use four on the iPP and another four on a second screen? I guess we’ll find out eventually.

BTW, as the article mentions, the iPad Air limitation is specified on Apple’s iPadOS page in the part about virtual memory swap. It’s in a footnote, however, and apparently nobody noticed it before now?

1. Available on iPad Air (5th generation) with a minimum of 256GB storage, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation).
2 Likes

The swap space at least so far, is equal to the RAM installed. So 16GB RAM machines have a single 16GB swap space and 8GB has as single 8GB swap space and the apps and monitor support are managed within that space.

That’s also why from our understanding there is a hard ceiling of 4 apps.

Developers have asked it could be dynamic like it is on intel/windows but apparently that would require major chip and OS changes due to the way unified memory architecture and IOS work. In other words dynamic VM allocation would break most existing apps.

1 Like

That’s actually part of the gripe. That footnote was not there originally but was added some time last week.

2 Likes

Where did you read that? It’s there in the June 6 Wayback archive of the page.

1 Like

Macrumors. Didn’t bother to fact check it.

2 Likes

Wow, Apple really painted themselves into a corner there.

So I spent Sunday looking at the dev boards we have access to around stage manager and the "whining " IMHO is just off the charts.

One, this is a major change to the way IOS works, arguably the biggest since the addition of the App Store. It doesn’t surprise me at all that a lot of stuff doesn’t work (yet). Bear in mind that we aren’t even to the public beta yet, so lots will get fixed between now and then.

Second, and this is where I have a lot of of sympathy with Apple here, because we face it all the time, but a huge part of the issues fall on the device and app makers for being careless or only partially implementing published specs and guidelines.

To that point , some of the LG ultra fine displays work superbly even now with stage manager. But those same displays are 100% or nearly so, spec compliant. Where as the typical Dell or Samsung you find at most retail stores in the ~60% range when we test them.

In their slight defense, the testing and design needed to hit that tier can add significantly to the price of the device/app/accessory. OTOH you already are knowingly paying a premium for an Apple device (or a surface for that matter), so it’s just dumb IMHO, to spend the premium on your Apple device, and then try to cheap out on the other stuff.

So before I get accused of being an Apple fanboy, I think Apple has done an absolutely terrible job of rolling this out, including being very hesitant to delve in to the potential difficulties/complexities. Perhaps they don’t like that it’s not “magical”.

So TLDR, people need to realize all of the above, and recognize that we are still multiple months away from official release so there is still lots of time for lots of this stuff to get fixed, and IMHO much of it will.

BTW: People need to get disabused of the notion that just because IOS and MacOS now run on the same chips, that both OS are essentially the same. the reality is that they were built from very different design goals and needs, and both have huge legacy support burdens that are not going to go away any time soon. I mean no one makes that same mistake with Linux versus Windows.

So Monday morning mini-rant logged and posted :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sometimes the harsh reality is that after those purchases you might just be tad budget squeezed. :thinking: :pensive:

4 Likes

And I get that. But I also have a cousin that runs a Lexus dealer ship and he frequently gets cars in where the driving experience is not what it should be, and inevitably they are at the 40-50K miles mark and have the cheapest 4 ply tires on them and the owner wonders why the driving experience isn’t what it was,

3 Likes

You need to get out more.

3 Likes

Crappy weather helped a lot…

2 Likes