iPad Pros: 12.9” and Above

I’m assuming third-party?

Fair enough. I just recall from my iPad 12.9 days that it wasn’t all that comfortable to sit around with for reading, so having some kind of way to prop it up would be good (at which point I think @dstrauss would say that we need to eat our Wheaties).

2 Likes

Agreed on that, though my daughter who has the 2020 12.9 and uses the kindle app adapted her reading to use hers in landscape mode, resting in her lap.

I’m trying that as well, as before with my 11 I was doing so in portrait holding it in both hands in front of me.

I’m not 100% sold on it yet, but I can’t tell so far anyway if it’s actually not as pleasant/usable, of if its just old habits dying hard. That being said the kindle app does have some tweaks to the UI and page layout specaifically to optimize that. Unlike sadly the Play Books or Nook apps which IMHO are just awkward regardless on anything larger than 11 inches.

And yes the keyboard case is 3rd party, though from one of the major players.

3 Likes

I find that I don’t have much of a problem with the weight and size if I’m holding the 12.9 in my lap in landscape mode and reading with it set to two-page view. It’s basically the size of an open hardback novel without the thickness and perhaps lighter. I used to curl up on the couch with those all the time without noticing the awkwardness. Muscle memory returning?

Standard hardcover leaf size: 5 x 8 inches. Open for reading: 10 x 8 inches. Weight: about two pounds for Game of Thrones.

iPP 12.9 in landscape: 10.5 x 8 inches. Weight: 1.5 lb

2 Likes

That’s a bit of an eye-opener. I guess I’m heading to the store for that box of Wheaties… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The one thing I REALLY MISS from my MacBook Pro 14 adventure…

Hopefully an 11" design as well???

2 Likes

Given who’s making it, I’d assume so. OTOH I think the benefits are a bit less tangible on the smaller 11

1 Like

SOP for me and my choices these days…

Hey uh, Celsys implemented hover cursor support not too terribly long ago from what I can tell. Could someone with an M2 share some impressions, however subtle? Would really love it if an aficionado with OCD would say how they like it compared to EMR slates, all that fun stuff.

People haven’t exactly been rushing to post this stuff on YT. Also, this is pretty facepalm inducing, but I had made this thread in the Buying Advice section where I had been torn between getting an M2 12.9 or going over to Samsung Galaxy. Well, I’ve still been on the fence a month later, as I can’t get into it right now, but I ended up returning the Apple stuff I bought…. And this was even before Procreate 5.3 made it out, probably by a few weeks.

May end up committing to one side or the other as early as this Saturday. Anyways, thanks if you can spend a little time on this lol.

Disclaimer: I just doodle; not a pro by any measure.

Comparing CSP on my M2 iPad Pro 12.9 vs Samsung Galaxy Book 12 w/Zbook X2 stylus, same flat watercolor brush, etc., the Pencil 2 wins. Hover distance is a little higher, not as much lag, and it doesn’t leave the cursor (hover brush shape) behind when you take the pen away (see photo). Palm rejection is far better as well.

Sorry, I don’t have a Samsung tablet w/S-Pen and Android CSP for comparison. So this is likely not much help.

For me it would be more about the ecosystem at this point, now that the Pencil & EMR have achieved parity (IMHO—).

3 Likes

Still under NDA?
Asking because I’m always looking for portable keyboard solutions. Especially those with good travel distance.

1 Like

Yes though I think one of them may be announced as soon as CES 2023

2 Likes

BTW: we’ve heard from a couple of customers that have invested significantly in the m2 12. 9 that if you aren’t satisfied with the hover operation, reseating the nib can in some cases make significant differences.

2nd BTW and a surprise IMHO, but according to our BB sources, the 12.9 has been the bestselling iPad for Christmas. They believe it’s due to a combination of factors including the display, processor, hover and the advent of Stage Manager

3 Likes

I’ll be curious to see what kind of keyboard case appears. Now if only the Parallels folks can get Windows 11 ARM working on this iPad… I wonder if they’re working on it?

1 Like

Probably never going to happen as even though MS and Qualcomm aren’t enforcing it (at least at present), WOA is still in a legal gray area on anything other than Qualcomm chips.

Apple and MS corporate reps are telling our customers if they insist on using Windows apps on an iPad either use Windows 365 which runs great IMHO or remote desktop which also is quite good and is of course cheaper than a 365 license though it’s not quite as performant.

And I use Remote Desktop FWIW on my 12.9

1 Like

It really is pretty good, and far better than the Android alternatives. It also resolves my headache of copying information from Outlook emails to Messages or texts from Messages to OneNote for my “text only” clients (you’d be shocked how many of those I have, especially the ones to send me pictures of documents so they don’t have to mess with a scanner)…

I wouldn’t want it for anything already available on the iPad, though. I have no use anymore for Word/Office.

How about a Parallels virtualization of MacOS Ventura? :innocent:

or just use Apple’s version of Remote Desktop ?

That’s no fun. :wink:

More to the point, it requires both owning and simultaneously running a Mac. And, as you would see if you tried to run Stellaris that way, it doesn’t work very well for everything one might want to run.

So much for the rumored 14.1" iPad…

1 Like

On the other hand, I’ve been thinking how lovely the rumored two-stack-tandem OLED iPPs sound, whenever they come out. They seem to be implying it will have a slight increase in size, hopefully by more than 0.1”.