iPad Pro as Your Only Computing Device

This is the first time I’ve ever encountered this level of paranoia and control - and they are now looking for a new oil & gas law consultant. That is for the best for both sides. The other new client only asked if I could connect to the OneDrive share from a Windows device, and seeing how hit or miss the OneDrive App still is on the MacBook Pro, can’t blame them for that.

My second (longer) stint in the time out corner has done wonders for my Anger Management (me and Jack) and ready to take on client #2.

4 Likes

Talk about the mother of all red flags…Good choice on firing them.

1 Like

Sort of related to using your iPad Pro as your only device but actually showing how frictionless Apple makes it (when they want to).

My OG AirPods finally got to the point last week where they would only hold about a 15 minute charge, so I replaced them the first of the week with the AirPods 3.

So started with watching some video tutorials on my iPad and midway through I got a phone call which I took on my iPhone. And without doing anything, the video on the iPad was paused , and I took the phone call. When I completed the call I hung up and picked the iPad back up and resumed the video and the audio was switched automatically back to the iPad.

Then about half an hour later , I had something I wanted to look on the big screen of my Mac, again without doing anything specific, the video on the iPad was paused and the playback of the video on the website I went to played in the AirPods.

Samsung comes somewhat close if you have an S series phone and Tab, but they don’t have the auto handoff to a PC. even their own.

So yes I sound like an ad for Apple, but I was still impressed how seamless it was when I went back to my pro 8 later in the day.

4 Likes

It’s close, but once you start relying on it you do run into some course-sandpaper level friction. Like taking a call on your apple watch, putting on your Airpod Pros for better audio, and the call sound continuing to come from the watch while the Airpods noise suppression nicely suppresses that… :sweat_smile: When it all works it’s… magi… really nice, but for the one in ten times that it doesn’t it’s impressively annoying.

3 Likes

I get too few phone calls to see if it’s consistent. I’ll bow to your superior experience level. :+1:

The one time I received a phone call on a hike while listening to SoundCloud through my AfterShokz Aeropex, about six months ago I think, I hit answer on my Apple Watch and everything went as with @Desertlap

Note that half the ingredients were non-Apple and it still worked smoothly. FWIW. Hopefully they continue to improve the integration so that the next time I get a non-spam phone call while wearing an audio device… maybe sometime in the next year or two… it’s just as trouble free. That would be sweet. I don’t think one need be a fanboy to make such a wish.

2 Likes

You’re switching it wrong…

Had to see that one coming…

Seriously though, I have see the occasional hiccup especially in switching between my home Mac and iPhone with my other Apple(PowerBeats) headphones.

I’ve noticed though that with each firmware update to them, it gets more consistent and reliable.

That’s in contrast to my Sony Earbuds, and Surface Pro 8 and Surface Go where even though they officially support multi-pairing , it fails far more than it succeeds.

Tweeeeeet…unsportsmanlike conduct for comparing Apples to morons…

How long until football returns…

1 Like

Depends on which conference you’re in … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Raised as a Packer in my early years - then by junior high a confirmed Bronco - I’m covered either way with two of the best QB’s in the game… :grin:

1 Like

Back to our regularly scheduled programming…

This article, from an unusual source gave me a few more insights into the problems I’m having “adjusting” to iPP even with iPadOS 16:

I commend the entire article for your reading pleasure, but here are a few observations that struck me…

"Over the last few years, Apple has made ample moves to bring more PC-like features to its tablet — be it a better file manager, robust cursor support, and even dual monitor support with the upcoming iPadOS 16. On the flip side, macOS has also been getting more iPad-like with every subsequent update. An educated guess would suggest that Apple wants iPads to replace its consumer line of products a few years down the line. The market for the Macbook Air and iPad Air are nearly parallel but haven’t converged quite yet.”

I have been wondering the exact same thing these past 3-4 weeks. It’s almost as if the new M2 MBA could easily morph into the 13” MacBook Pro (drop the existing clunker) and replace the MBA with iPad Pro 11, 12.9, and perhaps 14.

"Anyway, for my iPad as a laptop replacement experiment, I went the whole hog and got myself the incredibly pricey Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil to complete the experience. My first week with it was full of minor and major frustrations. The first time I used computers, Windows 3.1 was still around, and I’ve been using Macs since 2009. Compared to my 2018 Macbook Pro, using the iPad, predictably, required a complete rethink… I’m not a typical user, though. My weekends are spent spinning up Docker containers and tinkering with Raspberry Pi. So the iPad can’t entirely replace my laptop just yet. However, the next generation of computer users is growing up around an app-based ecosystem. Increasingly, the first computer that someone accesses isn’t a laptop, but a smartphone with apps. Take away very specific use like development or professional creative use, and the iPad can very comfortably fit the needs of the vast majority of users. It isn’t quite there yet, but with iPadOS 16 and new desktop-grade chips, it is clear that Apple is laying the groundwork for the iPad to be the future of its consumer computing portfolio, and the iPad Air is perfectly positioned to be the Macbook Air for the next generation.”

It sure does require a wholesale “re-think" even in iPadOS 16, which makes me agree with the author - iPad as your only computing device is for a different generation (the “I’ve always had an iPhone” crowd), until us “old fogies” no longer have day to day grind it out business duties.

6 Likes

That’s a really good article, he gets it, but… Android Authority? If they had forums there would be a firestorm of outrage. I wonder if they’re branching out to embrace all mobile devices?

1 Like

I know - that was a strange source - maybe it is branching or just an honest tech journalist?

Hmm, iPad Air 2020 was their Editors Choice tablet, review by a different author. Looks like they started branching out a while ago and I never noticed.

Or not so long ago, the article is dated last month.

Edit: maybe it’s a recent date because they updated it to mention the 2022 iPad Air review, which is also Editors Choice. Anyway, still weird for an Android site.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, for the novelist or the publisher?

The bulk of my clients were individual novelists who had received their out-of-print book rights back from the publisher and were self-publishing them again in ebook & print. They were not the crazies, that honor went to some of the never-published (traditionally) who were self-publishing. And one agent. I dealt with a few small publishers with no particular issues (except getting paid).

2 Likes

Isn’t that the eternal problem as a freelancer? Clients think that you need them more than they need you.

2 Likes

For an interesting take on the concept of the vanity press, be sure to read Umberto Eco’s delightful Foucault’s Pendulum.

2 Likes

Huge fan of Eco. Shame they never did an unabridged English language audiobook of it.

BTW @dstrauss I tried making some OneDrive folders offline, and it looks like it only updates any changed files when you open the app. I tried leaving OneDrive open in the background, allowing background refresh, but even ten minutes after uploading a new file on my PC the OneDrive app still only downloaded it when I opened the app. So while it can keep files in sync, you’ll have to remember to open it before you sit down with that important client.

One minor nice thing is that in the OneDrive iOS app settings you can disable previewing of Office documents. This means when you tap an offline Word file in the OneDrive app, it will instantly open it in Word. That makes OneDrive feel a little more like a file manager.

Ah, the rub - if I could just STORE them on MY device, who needs OneDrive or iCloud - I only want the cloud for backups…