iOS 16 Discussion thread

That sounds right. I accidentally tapped too fast, didn’t see anything displayed, and yet Safari opened Ars Technica, which is the shortcut at the location where I tapped, had it rendered my favorites.

I have a custom background that is synced between devices, maybe that slows down the display of the favorites screen, contributing to the bug.

I’ve seen exactly that posited on Apple’s dev boards . There is also a related theory that it’s partially a core/OS issue where the touch stuff is running on one core and an app such as safari starts on another and they get out of sync.

I do know it’s been an elusive thing for them to fully fix.

1 Like

That’s surprising given that it took me all of five seconds to reproduce. :thinking:

While you’re here, any idea how to force a time- based focus mode override an active location-based focus mode? See a few posts up. My time-based “…and now really don’t disturb me” mode doesn’t activate while my GPS based Work focus mode is on.

Meanwhile not a peep from iOS about conflicting or overlapping focus modes.

That’s the first time I’ve heard that. OTOH I just tried it myself and got similar results. eg. location seems to override time if there is overlap and I don’t see anything in our IOS developer docs that speaks to it either way.

When I’m back in the office tomorrow afternoon I’ll open a bug with Apple as you have me curious now :slight_smile:

1 Like

And FWIW I can’t reproduce it now on my 14 pro though I have seen others experience it…

1 Like

I can’t make it happen on my iPhone 13 Pro.

Do you have a custom image as the background behind your favorites? (the “new tab page”) I do, which might contribute. Plus my 12 mini is slower than your 13 Pro, that might also contribute.

Nope, it’s stock.

1 Like

I just had the same question as this stackexchange user. At some point iOS shuffled all my apps into the app library, so now I have lost track of which handy bur rarely used apps I forgot to re-pin. I can manually look through the entire app library, but there’s no visual cue showing which is already ‘pinned’. Anyone know of a trick/siri shortcut that can figure this out?

Funny, I keep finding myself trying to use Cmd-1 on my iPad Pro 11 to open the first pinned app on the dock, like you can in Windows (Win-1 opens the first app on the taskbar). Hey Apple, if you’re listening, please add this option!

Side note: I just found myself downloading the Bing app on my iPad. The shame!!

That’s what I’m using to play with Chappy/Sydney. It seems I was wrong about it resetting if you lose focus on the app. I must have been timing out when I shifted focus to a different app and it wasn’t the focus itself.

1 Like

Yeah I hadn’t seen that behavior. It does “hang up” on you too easily. “She” gave me a virtually identical answer to a prior one, and said “I hope that was helpful”. I answered “Not really”. And that was the end of that conversation! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Funny, I’ve been frustrated with the fact that on my iPhone the notification center would randomly slide down on its own. Extensive Google searching revealed no hint of a bug, so I assumed my touch screen had a problem.

Today it did it again, and I happened to notice that I had tapped the phone case a few times. And then I remembered… At some point I thought it would be cool to use back-tap to open the notification center, and months ago I had manually enabled that setting. D’Oh!!! :joy:

For those curious: Accessibility > Touch > Back tap. Lots of configuration options. Just remember to not forget.

3 Likes