I Want a WinPad!

Look at those bezels! :scream_cat:

1 Like

Not bad for 1966ā€¦

BUT - it looks like heā€™s using N-trig :scream: so thatā€™s where MS got the ideaā€¦ :rage:

2 Likes

Yes, I agree itā€™s the perfect spot for a tablet. When I bought my 12.9 IPP, I had a very different career and was thinking I could do all of my work on it, which is why I went for the larger size. Only a few months later, I switched careers and had to get a MBP, as the IPP could not do any of the things I needed it to. I have regretted not getting the 11" ever since. And now with my current workflow, my MBP remains docked all the time, so if it were a 10" or 11" tablet, as long as it had the power, I could dock it and work with my keyboard and mouse like I am now, and then just grab it and go for tablet mode on the go. It would be the perfect jack of all trades device. My only concern with it being Windows is the pen tech. I donā€™t like the feel of the slim pen, so unless they make a normal shaped pen that is at least on par with the Apple Pencil, Iā€™d still it rather be a 10-11" MacPad than a WinPad personally.

An I thought I was the only person in the tablet universe that felt this wayā€¦

I have definitely been on board with your thoughts. My main problem is my 2020 MBP is still going strong, so I have no reason to upgrade it, but my 12.9 IPP is annoyingly large, so I do want to ā€œupgradeā€ it by making it smaller. So the timing isnā€™t right for me to get a mythical MacPad or WinPad when I donā€™t need all of its functionality until my MBP needs an upgrade.

1 Like

How am I ever going to convince @james and @bronsky to waste money and throw caution to the wind (oh, wait a minute, the Surface Pro X experimentā€¦)

1 Like

Years of careful behavioral reconditioning have finally paid off. With the camelā€™s nose now in the tent, youā€™ll have bronsky dstraussing his purchases regularly in no time now.

1 Like

Ha Ha. I already thought to myself, ā€œif it doesnā€™t work out, I can always sell it.ā€

2 Likes

I think for a jersey boy it would be more like ā€œ@Bronskyā€™s rejects sleep with the fishesā€

The Godfather Luca Brasi Sleeps with the Fishes YouTube cut 1 on Make a GIF

2 Likes

I waste money all the time. Just not usually on electronics.

Okay, all this talk made me pull out the Galaxy book 10.6. Yes, I would like one of these, but with more ram and storage and speed and battery life. But thatā€™s basically what my tab S8 is except with Dex instead of windows. If only OneNote on Android were as full featured as windows.

1 Like

Itā€™s not only OneNote but all of the Office Suite. Outlook for Android is a poor immitation of Outlook. That, and my slavish addiction to Word Perfect and Adobe Acrobat keep me under the grip of the Windows universe.

You know, the SP9 sq with 5g is only 1"x1" larger and less than a pound heavier, and about $100 more expensive with type cover than your dream device. Granted, thatā€™s 512gb, but do you really need a tb?

Iā€™m just saying, per the title, thereā€™s already a WinPad right there for all intents and purposes.

1 Like

Unfortunately I do need the 1tb as archivist of digital legal files for prior firms that are called upon by clients now and again. BUT - I can replace the SSD in the 5g model as wellā€¦BUT

Issue two - I really LOVE the size of the SG3 compared to SP8, same goes for iPP11 v iPP12.9 - still, your point is well taken, and it does look like 5g in WindowsLand is being reserved for ARMā€¦

Since SP8 is humming along swimmingly, no need to make the switch just for 5g for now, so Iā€™ll wait and see what SP10 bringsā€¦

1 Like

At the very least, I think you are closer to what you want now that youā€™re more willing to stick in the Windows camp.

2 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™m even toying with the thought of upping to an iPhone 15 Pro Max/Ultra this fall and be down to my phone and my 2-in-1. Donā€™t know if a SP10 5g will be enough of an upgrade to warrant switching out the SP8 LTE (4g) but I am already getting close to that now even with just the iPhone 13 Pro - I rarely even carry the iPad Pro 11 anymore unless I think Iā€™ll want a second screen for the SP8 under heavy loadsā€¦

And maybe in 2027 King Timmy will deem me worthy of a folding iPhone of my ownā€¦

1 Like

Unless part of your purpose is ā€œget new machine with high contrast ratio screenā€. Signed, Mr OLED

1 Like

I was thinking similar. Now I have a phone and Windows tablet & laptop, but if say a future Surface Pro or clone comes at a reasonable price with 32 gb ram I might switch back to 2 devices. Especially if MS or other brand can bring down the weight (which for me is the main advantage of the Surface Go over Pro).

I mean, is it really that much of a difference though? I feel like the real request here is the do it all device, which Surface has been trying to perfect for the past 10+ years, whereas Apple has been trying to say, ā€œlook, you need these 4 devices for your life to be complete.ā€ What @dstrauss wants is of course, the do it all device with no compromises, and I guess that technically means OLED. But is OLED perfect? Isnā€™t everything going to have its own compromise in some way? At what point do you say, ok, that covers enough of the bases and I can live with the compromises? Everyone is different, but if Iā€™m focusing on a do everything device, I donā€™t think OLED is the thing I canā€™t live without, especially with the quality of displays we generally have today even outside of OLED. But, to your point, I suppose for some, that could very well be the one thing you canā€™t live without.

1 Like

For many people probably not. For me itā€™s the sole reason to keep my slow as all heck WOA Galaxy Book2 around. I watch enough media to really appreciate OLED.

Every time I try to watch something scifi on my iPad I give up, thereā€™s just so much gray glow from the dark portions (in before @Desertlap tells me to drop the screen brightness :grin:).