I Want a MacPad!

@dstrauss once again keeping hope alive…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvk1CFIM1M

And Apple’s response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvk1CFIM1M

:laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3idGV-7kSQ

1 Like

So, is this Dale’s MacPad? Or just another unicorn? Apple Speeds Up Foldable Device Development, Including 20.3-inch MacBook and iPhone (msn.com)

1 Like

Yeah - they have to fill the holes they’ve dug with the Apple Car and Vision Pro!

2 Likes

Like I have been saying for awhile now, both in this thread and generally on this board, but this time from the horses mouth so to speak

1 Like

I don’t know whether to be sad that you’ve crushed my dreams, or happy that I won’t be spending an excessive amount of money on a new M4 IPP anytime soon just to get a slightly better pen and screen experience.

4 Likes

And I think that Joanna’ Stern’s review in the first couple of paragraphs gets the current state right, that the hardware is way ahead of the software and that Apple still has work to do to get it to where it needs to be.

3 Likes

Water’s wet. Apple is really striking out, it seems, at marketing lately. First, the Crushed ad, and now telling people out loud what they already know and don’t want to hear is downright stupid. Did this person learn anything about PR? It is going over like a fart in Sunday school, even on the top Apple fan sites. At any rate, the comment is getting the communities so vocal. Among the angry comments decrying the iPad Pro as overpriced as a mere accessory, people are sharing some great insights. Here is one that I really liked that perfectly describes the current dilemma for iPadOS:

1 Like

That’s kind of where I’m at as well. When they listen, we tell them that look we get that you are building a next gen device and/or user paradigm, but unlike with the Mac, you aren’t doing this in a vacuum where there isn’t a huge amount of existing precedent and built in user knowledge and satisfied users of existing ones.

I get that it’s extraordinarily hard, but if you want to get there, you have to provide bridges between past and future to make it successful. I’m old enough and have been around the tech market long enough to remember them acting similary with the Newton and we all know how that worked out.

5 Likes

Exactly. What that statement did was take the wind out of many people’s sails for the excitement they had. I mean, case in point below:

Bless that VP’s little heart. Rule #1 of anything in marketing is never telling people the obvious of how they can’t do something and laying out the limitations of your own product, especially when there is significant criticism going around about it. Either say nothing if your intention is to keep the status quo of your segmentation, or say something if you do intend to bridge those gaps, but do not build up walls and then give everyone a personal tour of the prison that they are already painfully aware of. For a product line that has seen deeply declining sales and just had an exciting launch event that was supposed to invigorate sales, the tone of that VP’s statement—while absolutely valid and 100% spot-on—is tone-deaf. They are making people even less inclined to purchase and are doing considerable damage by stirring the pot of animosity towards the iPad in general. The iPad Pro’s hardware is amazing, and rather than focus on its strengths, they are telling everyone it cannot sing solo and stand on its own merits by the very tone they’ve struck.

1 Like

And sadly IMHO that is one negative legacy that Apple still carries from Jobs, without his understanding of nuance and context which is that their way is the only way.

I shard this info privately with a couple of people back on the old board and it to shows what I’m talking about.

Right after Apple announced keyboard and mouse support for iPadOS, MS initially announced that “the full Office Experience” was coming soon to the iPad Pros.

As part of that plan, one of MS engineers showed a handful of key customers that were both Mac/iPad and MS shops, an alpha of the new Office.

Most prominent was an App they were calling Explorer I. Which essentially was the explorer file management app, but running of course on IOS. It was restricted only to the use/manipulation of office and related files, but Apple repeatedly rejected it for various reasons including not being IOS like.

And perhaps the death knell for it was that it used a handful of Apple’s reserved APIs which is always a No No.

I can sort of talk about it now, because the engineer that showed it to us, apparently got way out on her skis in doing so, and while she didn’t get outright fired, she was moved to another divisions and we heard about a year ago that all plans in that direction have been abandoned for good.

I’m certain that this would have been more than enough for some users like our own @dstrauss , but alas it certainly will not see the light of day.

6 Likes

Nicely put.

3 Likes

Yes it would have filled the bill, but Apple has become strident in its total control mode while the world keeps forcing more concessions on them and they comply like a lawyer to the letter of a TRO.

This trip to Colorado has heightened my desire for an all in one solution (at least on the business side). I’ll wait and see what Build brings.

But I think the hype train for Snapdragon X is off the rails folks - and nothings even here yet.

5 Likes

Yeah I am kind of in the same boat. Between issues with using my mac for work and having some travel coming up, I shifted back to just using my SP9 instead of my Macbook and iPad Pro for a week to see if I can go back. So far so good. Apple’s arrogance on hardware upgrade pricing and software isn’t helping to sway me back to two devices instead of one SP9…

2 Likes

Well - selling the MBP, iPP and SP8 could get me half the price of one of these SP10 WOA’s

1 Like

Probably more than halfway–depending!

I won’t lie, while I’m not fond of the current state of Windows, battery life was one of the main reasons I went with IPP to begin with. Even if the hype isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, I will be interested in upgrading my 2020 MBP to a Samsung if it has an SPen. Assuming I can easily disable those stupid adds and notifications that always pop up.

1 Like

Finally saw the new iPad Pros at Apple Store here in the Springs - very impressive, especially the 13” which feels barely heavier than the 11 (I’m sure mass and size make it seem even smaller). 2.75# - would be perfect but with no MacOS no way.

@Desertlap has put the fear in me that Timmy is my Lucy!

2 Likes

If you want one, you can get one immediately! I know a guy in China who does custom tablet PC (or Mac in this case) designing. I just got a gaming laptop converted to a tablet PC with EMR pen support. The conversion just cost $750-900 or so, donor digitizer display and laptop excluded.

The finished product is surprisingly elegant. The CNC machined body looks amazing.
You can just buy a headless M2 Max MacBook Pro (the bottom half of the MacBook Pro with the screen removed) with 64GB of RAM for around $1350, and a digitizer display panel (which supports EMR pen) for $200, the grand total is still quite a bit less than a much lower spec’d iPad Pro.

3 Likes

That was pretty much what the Axiotron folks were doing w/ the ModBook.

If the digitizer was current gen Wacom EMR, I’d be hard-pressed not to do this.

As it is, it makes me want a Movink 13 and a Mac Mini…