I Hate Ebay

Guy wins the auction, next day asks if it still has a Lenovo warranty (no), backs out of the sale. Dude, you ask those things before you bid! What an absolute pain. Canceled and re-listed. :anger:

(No option to give Second Chance to the runner up bidder for whatever reason—possibly they had the option to receive them turned off.)

I should limit my purchases to things that can be put up for sale on Swappa… though that’s not as good as it used to be. :crying_cat_face:

5 Likes

I agree - FleaBay is getting to be a very expensive (for Sellers) h*** hole. I related on the old TPCR that the buyer of my Samsung Fold3 etc tried to claim USPS delivered to wrong location - turns out I can prove HE rerouted the delivery to a foreign export forwarding company to get around my no outside US sales. I think he resold it overseas and wanted me to make an insurance claim against USPS and they were two steps ahead of him. At least I got paid - minus FleaBay’s outrageous cut of the deal… :rage: :rage:

5 Likes

I rarely use FleaBay anymore, too much risk.

Latest deal, a guy won a new SSD from me, then cancelled because he didn’t like the shipping cost. Then later proceeded to write a negative review about me, calling me a “fraud” in the feedback. I didn’t notice he gave me a negative review until after the contention period.

I bought my Fold2 from Swappa with no issues.

1 Like

ugh, this is why I concede defeat and just use Samsung’s trade-in service

I have nothing but bad experience with Samsung trade-in service. I am currently wearing an Apple Watch that was returned to me four months after I traded it in, with many misadventures and lies in the meantime.

My iPhone 12 mini before that was declared unreceived despite tracking saying otherwise until I fought my way through the support process and they discovered that they had it after all. Whole bunch of clowns there.

Edit: truth be told, my switch from S21U back to Apple was prompted in part by getting the watch back. I like it a lot better than the Galaxy one.

2 Likes

eBay: where it isn’t buyers beware but sellers shafted. I have been very fortunate to be spared of seller issues on eBay except once about three years ago when I decided (a choice I lived to deeply regret) to sell an expensive pair of audiophile headphones. A guy there won my flagship headphones at about $500 in auction, like a doofus cracked the driver baffling (I strongly suspect he had buyer’s remorse as he probably couldn’t afford it and the next month’s rent), and maniacally messages me in illiterate, vitriolic ramblings that I sent it damaged to him. Even after speaking with reason and calmness and providing eBay the pre-boxed up photos I held in reserve as proof that I sent it without damage, they still sided with the buyer. The magic words “significantly not as described” is commonly noted as SNAD in the buyer forums with disgust and horror. It is after all a four-letter word (well, acronym, but you get my drift), being after all an instant guarantee that eBay will side with the buyer no matter what since it is their policy. So when I got the package finally back, I got my now-damaged headphones, a cheap pair of junk earbuds as this person’s conciliatory “gift,” (how about gifting me with honesty?!?) and a crunched-up paper note in illiterate chicken scratch bemoaning “I sory.” Suffice it to say, I submitted his name to the Universal Scammers List (I highly recommend this resource to all online sellers) in a heartbeat and hopefully he is blacklisted everywhere, and I am now far wiser and more proactive about removing and blocking bidders who look even the slightest suspect.

1 Like

I didn’t know you could remove bidders from the auction. I found out how to block after this latest guy.

I don’t think I’m ever going to go back to FleaBay for a sale…that last one was just too close of a call. Haven’t to say he disappeared after I told him I would not participate in insurance fraud against USPS without written verified (sworn) affidavit the person at the delivery address did not receive the package as USPS claimed they did in their shipment verification.

2 Likes

I think this will be my last one. It’s just not worth it.

Swappa has been pretty good for me over the years, and they keep expanding the range of stuff they cover.

3 Likes

I’ve mostly had good experiences and the staff at Swappa are very good. But then you get the unpleasant people…

My most recent sale was not satisfactory for the buyer so I authorized the return and refund. He claimed he lost his tracking number and a couple weeks later it still has not arrived. He began accusing me of being a thief, receiving it and not giving him his refund. Lots of foul language, verbal abuse and he’s now been banned by Swappa. Very nasty stuff and it certainly didn’t make my day when the worst of it went down this evening. I’m currently recovering.

Not Swappa’s fault but it certainly doesn’t encourage me to want to sell there again.

See, this is what’s great about the new forum. It has a “hug” emoji!! Man, that sounds terrible. You only need a few let’s say “difficult people” to completely ruin the experience. Hope your next sale goes smoothly. Maybe we should all just stick to selling all our tablets to each other!

3 Likes

You know what they say about one bad apple - I’m going to have to give up “dstraussing” for my sanity and stress levels.

PS - that guy who tried to scam me has sent me a FleaBay message asking to give him a good review - he’s never answered my questions about his trying to ship overseas around me, much less even admitting he got the package… :angry: :rage:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my belated New Year’s Resolution. Fortunately with the arrival of the iPad mini 6 today I think I have a setup that I can stick with long-term.

1 Like

Congratulations - I think you’ll love it - I did but for my writing issue, which is getting better. Besides, my SP8 will handle 80-90% of my note writing needs.

1 Like

Funny, mine is the opposite: I was planning on offloading much of the tech museum pieces scattered around the house. Thankfully it’s all ancient stuff, so there’s not as much money involved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Auction sites here in Japan are better, but you have petty things like people refusing to accept bids from accounts that don’t have any ratings/feedback. They’ll just cancel your bid at the end of the auction. Not even a message to see if the account is genuine, just some unspoken rule that you need a good reputation before you’ll be accepted.

And bids getting locked in before the end of the auction. It’s fairer I guess, but it takes all the fun out of it.

My current eBay auction that just ended is the last thing I need to get rid of (Yoga 9i). Fortunately.

1 Like

At this point, I’ll only sell via craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and only local in person pick up. I have to say though, craigslist is much less interesting here in the rural midwest than it was in the Bay Area.

2 Likes

As in “fewer murders”, or “fewer interesting items for sale”?

2 Likes