Google AI innovations

The introduction of Bard was a bit of a fiasco, but of course Google won’t give up on AI. This thread is for posting updates on what’s happening on the AI front at Google.

At today’s Google I/O a nice new feature in Gmail was shown: “help me write”. This is like ChatGPT, but I like that there are standard options where you can ask to make the message more formal, or to ask for a longer message on the same topic. Very handy. Downside, in the future emails are more and more going to be AI’s talking to each other on behalf of users and companies. I’m not even kidding!

Another interesting new tool from Google:

We’ve seen text-to-image—and more recently—text-to-video generation, but with this, I can see on the horizon whole feature films being created with a few simple phrases. Wild times. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

An opinion piece on Google’s I/O presentation by Ars’ grumpiest writer:

Google’s Circle to Search feature just rolled out for my Pixel Fold. Initial impression: it might actually live up to its hype.

One really useful thing for me will be identifying flora and fauna at parks where I volunteer. It’s kind of embarrassing to be asked by a visitor what something is and I can’t answer. :flushed:

Now I can take a photo and circle something in it. Still not perfect as you can see. It lists three different deer. The first one is correct.

1 Like

That is a pretty cool feature, and probably the one I’m most interested in overall. My wife has an app on her phone that works kinda of similarly just for identifying flora that she uses when we go camping. It’s been cool to use. I can imagine how fun and useful a much more expanded version of that would be.

More about how you like or dislike the Fold please.

Sure. I’m waiting for the honeymoon phase to be over then I’ll give my impressions in the Pixel Fold topic.

So Alphabet really is going all in on AI now…

Genuine attempt to lead/innovate or transparent attempt to boost the stock price?