Go3 LTE

In a well-serviced country like Japan, I honestly don’t see the need for most people. Bar some remote islands and bits of Hokkaido, and some road warriors/hippies.

Of course, Japan has overcrowding issues more than most countries, so urban areas may well need 5G for that.

1 Like

Those with LCC SIMs in large cities complain about crowding out effects.

Here in the US the carriers are already filling up the increased capacity with home service cellular plans, so net zero effect for those of us who hoped for fewer slowdowns during peak demand. That was expected, of course, by anyone who thought it through. Cell providers are businesses and it’s in their interest to maximize use till people complain or start switching service in a vain attempt at improvement.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s going to go back and forth for awhile as they convert over from LTE on more cell sites. One of the unsung virtues of 5g generally is that it’s much more efficient in bandwidth utilization at all tiers, and as capacity gets built out, the net will be that we will have more “breathing room” so to speak.

OTOH the number of devices using bandwidth continues to grow unabated and one potential drain on these is the rise of 5g based home internet offerings which obviously use far more data than typical mobile users.

I understand why the carriers are jumping on this as for example in my area the costs and regulatory hurdles are far lower than say getting wider deployment of fiber.

1 Like

And they’re offering it with unlimited data at half the price I have to pay for 100GB/mo with a data-only cellular device like my Netgear Nighthawk. No, they won’t allow a nomadic person like me get it. Strictly for home users who also have other inexpensive options. :anger:

Yea. I feel for you as I imagine you sitting under an ancient hardwood tree looking out at a majestic wide expanse of America at your feet. Oh, those lucky home users with their inexpensive options.

2 Likes

Question for those that have the Go LTE. Are there any out there that use it with more than one carrier on a regular basis?

The reason I ask is that I have a customer who uses Verizon as his primary carrier, but also relatively frequently has to use t-mobile as well. The problem comes when he switches back to Verizon after using T-mobile. He either can’t get a signal at all, or if he does, he still can’t transmit data.

The only workaround he’s found is to completely uninstall the modem , drivers and all, then reinstall and of course he has to set it up all over again.

The carriers of course blame each other, and we, at least so far can’t replicate it.

Thanks, in advance,

Strictly Verizon. I’m no help.

1 Like

This is why the Surface Go is the perfect size. Taking notes on a Sunday, catching up with the work that slips through the cracks.

4 Likes