Foldable iPad in 2024?

I’ve seen multiple stories on this in my newsfeed this morning, though I suspect they may all come from the same core source of rumors.

I actually think this is a bit more likely than a foldable iPhone for among other reasons a foldable iPhone would be thicker which seems counter to Apple’s design efforts, camera humps notwithstanding.

Foldable iPad could arrive as early as next year, claims noted Apple analyst - The Verge

3 Likes

Well, this rosy prediction is certain to please a Grail-Hunter or two:

“He reported that Apple is developing a foldable iPad/MacBook hybrid with a roughly 20-inch folding screen…”

:astonished:

1 Like

I’m surprised by Kuo’s statement:

" Apple could be on track to release a foldable iPad as early as next year, according to supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. “I’m positive about the foldable iPad in 2024 and expect this new model will boost shipments and improve the product mix,” he tweeted early Monday. Kuo expects it to be joined by a revamped iPad Mini, due to enter mass production in early 2024."

He and Gurman are much alike and rarely use definitive language. Interesting to the Holy Grail Unicorn searcher…

1 Like

I am excited about both predictions I think. I keep waffling back and forth about what I want for my own devices and someone made a comment in another thread that made me think. I keep going back and forth between “do I want a 2 device solution with a 12.9 IPP and smaller iPad Mini, or do I want an 11” IPP as my all things iPad device. Anyway, someone made the comment that multiple devices that specialize are almost always better than 1 decent jack of all trades device that doesn’t do anything perfectly. Now, these are all iPads, so I think the difference is smaller, but, if the foldable iPad is indeed an iPad Macbook hybrid, and maybe has real MacOS functionality somewhere in there, it wouldn’t make as much sense to get the IPP 11", but a new Mini would be a perfect companion. So if the rumors are true, now I’m just really hoping the refreshed iPad Mini actually comes out this year instead of 2024. It’s much easier to spread out the spending for two devices than to try to justify buying them all at the same time. Plus, it’s been 3 years since I bought any new tech outside of peripherals. I don’t really want to wait another year.

2 Likes

Perhaps almost as exciting: there’s talk of a kickstand!

If they do that, first I’ll do a Nelson “Ha ha!” …and then I’ll probably* buy it.

* if it also gets OLED

2 Likes

Well Gurman is apparently saying no on this.

Gurman: No Foldable iPad launch in 2024 | BGR

1 Like

2 Likes

And here is how rumors get way out of hand. The three display OEMs at CES that were currently or about to release folding display tech were all talking about larger and smaller future models and as much as anything were posing hypothetical uses for these as yet unreleased products.

I think I may have been in the same booth as the source for this leak when one speculated that their display would be “perfect for a folding touch screen MacBook or a NEO type device from the PC makers”

TLDR, I’ll believe this one when Apple actually announces it.

Apple Could Launch An All-Screen Foldable Notebook With A 20.5-Inch Display In 2025 (wccftech.com)

PS: There was a rumor floating around CES that Lenovo was privately showing a future version of the yogabook 9i with a folding single screen as a future update.

1 Like

Really strange. Ross Young has as good a record on display tech as Gurman and Kuo do in general. They are all digging in the same mine but coming back with different ores.

@Desertlap - finally read the full article - are these guys junior high school essayists?

“At this point, it is unclear if Apple would position the 20.5-inch notebook as an iPad or a Mac. It also remains to be seen if Apple will go ahead with the plan. Since the final word rests with Apple, the company could see fit to scrap the device altogether. We will share more details on the subject, so be sure to stick around.”

No sh!t sherlock, Apple does have the last say (and first, and middle, la la la la) - d@mn clickbait!

2 Likes

It actually reads more like something written by ChatGpt which apparently CNET has been using frequently :slight_smile: :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m kinda surprised that we don’t have a CharGPT member yet.

Should I even ask? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

ERASE THIS POST…

Too late. Installing it now (not even kidding)…

@AIBot What details and rumors can you share about Apple’s foldable iPad in 2024?

What are the latest rumors about the foldable iPad?

Bad bot. Mark Gurman on Twitter wrote a follow-up rumor in January 2023 contradicting Ming-Chi Kuo. Gurman claims no foldable iPad is slated for release in 2024.

1 Like