Favorite doodle app for kids (windows)

My kids have discovered they can doodle all over their school work in OneNote. I told them to at least start a new page for their drawings so they’re not leaving an army of little stick figures fighting dragons all over their math. I think it’s time to move them to something more drawing focused so they’re not looking at all of OneNote’s ribbon when trying to switch colors or pen sizes. Please recommend your favorite lightweight, simple, intuitive, clean interfaced drawing app for windows. Free preferred, but I’m not opposed to buying something.

1 Like

Time was ArtRage was the go to for this — is it still an option?

Or, Autodesk Sketchbook (though its UI has gotten really cluttered)

2 Likes

Maybe MS Fresh Paint?
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/fresh-paint/9WZDNCRFJB13?hl=en-us&gl=US

3 Likes

The new MS Paint is pretty good.

Concepts is also great as it has a great colour palette wheel and the free version enough pens.

3 Likes

Tuxpaint is a free and open source app for kids, but UI looks outdated and seem like a glorified version of MS Paint.

Fire Aplaca is a free and more advanced app for those want to get more into digital art, learn to make use of layers and stuff. The UI is easy to use even just for simple doddle.

3 Likes

Artweaver Free version is quite child-friendly but I’d +1 on Fresh Paint.

A lot of other Apps can be intimidating and take the fun out of exploring. Check on your windows installation if you have the free version of sketchbook pro pre-installed on your computer. Autodesk sold SBPro off last year and it’s now a paid app - I don’t think the new owners are still offering the free and uncluttered version anymore.

3 Likes

I would have recommended Sketchbook as well if it were a year ago. Unfortunately, it got sold off and now you have to pay for it. Not only that, it lost it’s wonderful Copic marker palette from the business transfer.

I also second that if you somehow still have the old install for it, I think it’s the way to go for kids. I luckily still found mine sitting in my downloads folder. Super intuitive uncluttered interface… it’s one of the few creative apps I’ve used where I’ve never had to watch a tutorial for.

3 Likes

Thanks for all recommendations. We’re trying a few different apps. They’ve gotten really into the doodling.

1 Like