Enticing new Apple Pencil nib

I think maybe this just came out in the last month or two?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KVCQXQP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HJBZ197EVQB41PP31V6Z

I want to pick it up but I’m scared because I basically don’t want to use screen protectors anymore. I’ve just gotten tired of replacing them, I love the visual clarity of bare glass, and the smoothness because we’re using our fingers constantly for all sorts of inputs. But here’s a wild anecdote for you: I’m starting to accumulate hairline scratches on my screen just from the damn regular Apple nibs. So I don’t mind how slippery these stainless steel nibs would be as I’ve gotten used to that, but I don’t trust them when they say it’s safe for the screen. I may still be picking these up soon and being a guinea pig anyways.

3 Likes

Steel? I can only imagine the clacking tapping sounds they’ll create. Think I’ll pass on these.

1 Like

Yeah I think I’m coming to my senses and realizing steel against glass is just madness. I started thinking if it was polished right, it might ironically be easier on the glass than apple’s nibs.

I think these are the soft nibs that were endorsed on the old site (might have even been you, Bishop). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09184396G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6C0GGJM6QC1YWSR71R66

1 Like

That really depends on the glass used. I suspect the ‘scratch-resistent’ glass touted by many manufacturers is a bit exaggerated. Sure, it is much better than before, though before many touchscreens were plastic.

And then there are any coatings that might be applied on top of the glass that probably aren’t that hard to scratch.

1 Like

@Neongolden : For what it’s worth, I’ve been using the IFELI tip on my Pencil 2 and I kinda like it:

Amazon.com: IFELI Normal All-in-One Silicone Tip Replacement for Apple Pencil (2 pcs 1 Set) | Silicone Pen Nibs for iPad Pencil | (2pcs Black) : Everything Else

1 Like

Sooooooo - will it or won’t it scratch the nekid glass?

Sorry, I had to drop all of it - even the soft nibs - for now and chose to keep going with my standard ones. I’m really having to nickel-and-dime at the moment.

Someone in either the Q&A or the reviews claims it won’t mess up the glass, but I have a very hard time believing it.