Do any of you have an HP Spectre X360 14 with an i7-1197G7 and run Photoshop with no issues?

I live in Mexico and was using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 which was starting to get a bit quirky and was interested in a Surface Pro 8. I ordered an SP8 online from B&H Photo but it got stuck in Mexico Customs and was returned to B&H. I found a eBay vendor who pre-collected customs duties, so figured they were confident about getting it through customs, but nope, it was returned to the vendor, too.

At the same time, I became aware of the HP Spectre X360 14 and was impressed with the specs, and the price was comparable to an SP8 with a Signature keyboard. I wanted to do a hands on comparison, so I flew up to New York City to buy a new computer about ten days ago. Best Buy price-matched a Spectre X360 14 with i7-1195G7, 16 GB RAM & 1TB SSD to hp.com’s $1499 price, so it undercut the SP8 by over $200. Sold. (It was the last one in stock at that BB store.)

Took the Spectre X360 to my hotel room and it booted up to a hardware error in BIOS – battery issue. Returned to the BB store and they authorized an exchange at another BB store downtown, so I Uber’d there and picked up the new one. Took the new Spectre X360 to my hotel room and it booted up to the same hardware error in BIOS. Back downtown I go to exchange again. I booted up the third one at the Customer Service counter and – voila! – no BIOS error. At this point my confidence in HP was a little shaky, but I brought the computer back home to Mexico anyway.

A few days ago I resumed a project: digitizing & retouching ~1,000 family photos. Photoshop isn’t fully compatible with my new HP Spectre X360 14! I can’t even apply a simple Smart Sharpen filter without PS crashing. PS troubleshooting gives a workaround: disable Graphics Processor acceleration. WTH? I buy a pricy laptop with 11th-gen Intel Iris Xe graphics and I turn it off?

PS suggests that the graphics adapter drivers are out of date:

However, Intel Driver & Support Update Assistant reports everything is up to date.

I really don’t want to fly back to NYC to return this computer, but it is an option. Before I do, do any of you have an HP Spectre X360 14 with an i7-1197G7 and run Photoshop with no issues? If I do return it, I will probably buy a MS Surface Pro 8, the original apple of my eye, although I am eyeing a MacBook of some flavor. Apparently, Macs “just work,” and at this point that is alluring.

I am reluctant to pursue the Photoshop issue with Adobe & Intel as I assume they will each point a finger at the other. <sigh…>

1 Like

Ouch, sorry to hear your troubles. @dstrauss seems have rock-solid unit though (which he’s cheating on with a MBP, the indignity :stuck_out_tongue:), so don’t lose heart.

As a preliminary measure, did you test if disabling graphics acceleration actually stops the crashing?

Go to Photoshop’s Preferences > Performance and uncheck Use Graphics Processor and restart Photoshop.

If it does, we can further troubleshoot with possible graphics driver or firmware changes, etc.

Also side-note, I haven’t used PS in a while as I’ve switched over to Affinity Photo. Have you tried the trial as temporary workaround?

1 Like

Mine is a 2020 1165G7, so don’t know that it is comparable to the latest 1195G7; I’ve never run full Photoshop on any device; and I am NOT cheating on it - it is just gathering a little dust… :woozy_face:

1 Like

This sounds like the perfect comeback when she catches you red-handed…

“Honey, I’m not cheating on you, you’re just gathering a little dust.” :smile:

@wpcoe What Intel driver version do you have?

1 Like

Thanks. I was hoping you’d post. I saw that you had a Spectre X360 14 but wondered if you had it long enough to pre-date the i7-1195G7.

Not to accent my paranoid tendencies, but I’m wondering if my device in particular has a specific problem rather than there being a common problem. I tried various Google searches and the only results linking an i7-1195G7 and/or Spectre X360 14 and Photoshop are…zero. I’d think there’d be fire bells going off if this were being experienced by others, no?

Yeah, it’s most likely an outdated driver problem.

Try downloading and installing the latest DCH driver from Intel’s driver page (current version 30.0.101.1191 / igfx_win_101.1191.exe).

Got the new driver (for some reason the Intel ''Driver & Support Assistant" doesn’t know about it) and still have the same issue with Photoshop crashing.

And the beat goes on…

I had forgotten I had posted about this here on TabletPCReview!

Current status: I found the culprit causing Photoshop to crash while Graphics Acceleration was on:

I was going through the long list of installed apps, uninstalling them one at a time to see if any of the apps were causing it, and indeed one was: something called “OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack”.

Photoshop now works without crashes, but I wonder if in any way I kneecapped the performance of my Spectre X360 14 in any other way by uninstalling that Compatibility Pack. On a Microsoft page, I found this explanation of what that Compatibility Pack does:

This compatibility pack allows more of your favorite OpenCL™ and OpenGL® apps to run on a Windows 10 PC that doesn’t have OpenCL and OpenGL hardware drivers installed by default. If a DirectX 12 driver is installed, supported apps will run with hardware acceleration for better performance. This package supports apps that use OpenCL version 1.2 and earlier and OpenGL version 3.3 and earlier.

… but I don’t know what that really means. e.g. “This package supports apps that use OpenCL version 1.2 and earlier and OpenGL version 3.3 and earlier.”

• Are there later versions of OpenCL/Open GL and the package would not work with them?
  • How do I know what OpenCL/OpenGL versions my computer has/uses?
2 Likes