Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

What I would really like is a Duo 2 or Fold 3 type device running WOA with a siloed S-pen. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

9 Likes

I know, BAD FORM, but I also wonder how DIFFERENT everything would be if MS hadn’t cheaped out after Surface Pro and bought Wacom instead of N-Trig. Can you imagine all the Surface devices with S-Pens in silos - OMG maybe it would have kept me in the Windows fold (pun intended).

3 Likes

planning on an new HD ultrawide monitor soon.

probably getting it next month:
LG 40 inch ultrawide 5k monitor

dont do any gaming, but lots of video editing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P1VLCQ4/?coliid=I3HG8BK2PWC2ZU&colid=T2NJETCKJ9FC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

later

2 Likes

The geek in me would buy it in a heartbeat, but would soon find out that I’m missing apps apps apps. No Waze, no offline maps for Google Maps, no AllTrails app with offline maps, and I’m sure quite a few others. But again, I would totally buy it! :vb-grin:

1 Like

When did samsung invest/own a small stake in Wacom again?

Apparently 2013?

3 Likes

What a smart investment that turned out to be for Samsung. And Microsoft bought what? Yea … that one.

4 Likes

I have always wondered if they did try for Wacom but something prevented a buyout and then they were beat out by Samsung for a percentage stake. Or maybe it was Samsung negotiating for that percentage that prevented a buyout? Or maybe Japan didn’t want an American mega Corp to buy one of their iconic companies… Many possibilities.

1 Like

probably getting it next month:
LG 40 inch ultrawide 5k monitor

dont do any gaming, but lots of video editing

Yuck to that price. 34 inch Ultra Wide 4K monitors cost around $400-600. As the boards resident Multi-Monitor nut, I would recommend instead getting 3-4 of the ultrawide 34/4K inchers for that price and make a cooler set up in lieu of a single 5K.

1 Like

It blows my mind that Microsoft opted for N-Trig.
I wonder the financial incentive over licensing from Wacom or the negotiations like @Dellaster describes.

I’m not sure how I feel about Wacom being in the walled garden of Apple.
Whether they would of allowed for it to be licensed out to other manufacturers like what Wacom does.

@Bronsky
+1 for a siloed Duo 2.

I agree with the larger sized digitizers, but the convenience of having one in the silo to use at whim is massive.
It’s also so much easier not to lose.

2 Likes

I think Microsoft wanted full control, and Wacom wasn’t for sale wholesale.

They’ve benefitted from having full control, but fundamentally the technology isn’t as good, so really it was a waste of money. But to Microsoft, well, they infiltrated and then blew billions on Nokia’s handset division and came out unscathed so…

3 Likes

As a side note to the N-trig versus Wacom decision on MS products, we’ve heard from multiple former MS people that the deciding factor in the choice was that N-trig can be and is integrated in to same array that touch is for Pixelsense where as Wacom EMR still requires two layers. And also allows the Duo’s dual display setup to work as well as it does.(less susceptible to crosstalk)

And FWIW MS seems to have the best palm rejection/false touch software generally speaking, when using a pen.

And, isn’t the new slim pen 2 much much improved? I mean, it may not be on par with EMR from all aspects, but to most users, I don’t know that it’s a liability like it used to be.

2 Likes

For me, the Slim Pen 2 & associated screen/software improvements (only in the latest Surfaces) finally made it a decent alternative to EMR, not just something I begrudgingly accepted because I had to.

4 Likes

Adding another into the list of things I want but can’t justify: one of those GPD knock-off with Celeron/Pentium and 8 Gig RAM+SSD. Certainly not a powerhouse but more than enough to run Windows comfortably, and can fit into a pouch.

I have a weakness for mini laptops, but there aren’t one less than 300$ I could find locally.

2 Likes

So this is the latest addition to stuff that I want, but won’t buy.

I have a pair of B&W speakers that I absolutely love and sound fantastic IMHO. And I’ve demoed several earlier iterations of these, and they also sound terrific, but they have one deal breaking problem for me. I wear glasses and B&W headphones cause me significant pain within a few minutes as they put pressure on the frames of my glasses which hurt both my ears and nose.

They are beautifully built though and the previous versions sound great too (if I can handle being half blind while I wear them).

2 Likes

So I keep going back and forth on wanting the iPad mini, so I guess it’s on this list for me. I want to wait to see if it gets M1 or M2 anytime soon, but I think it really fits my use case well. I want a device that I can sketch with on the go, and something I can write with on the go. I could go with the IPP11 with magic keyboard, but that gets pretty heavy. What I’m really talking about it pulling out the IPM in portrait mode and just thumb typing whatever idea has popped into my head, while standing in line, sitting, whatever, wherever I am. I try to use my phone for the writing part, but the keyboard is too small for how fast I want to write. I do it occasionally, but not as often as I’d like. My old Huawei Mate 20X was pretty great for this. The phone was too wide for single thumb typing, but I got pretty good at thumb typing with both hands on it. It was a decent sketchbook also, though I think the IPM would make some pretty big improvements in that department.

Still, $500 or however much the IPM is now, and who knows how much it will be if it gets M1/2 in it, is quite pricey when my phone is already passable. And I don’t sketch on the go all that often. So yeah, can’t quite pull the trigger.

4 Likes

I’d consider it if it had a pogo pin keyboard. I don’t see that happening though.

1 Like

Adding the Raytrektab 8 to the waiting list, depending on the current status of my Asus Note 8 which is still alive but beaten up. Disadvantage is heat and brick size which can’t be swapped by a phone charger. And I also have a few other Windows tablets with that charger problem and bigger size.

With the death of Atom, those are compromises that actually prevent frequent usage that make me hold onto my Asus a little longer.

I’m seeing quite a lot of Lenovo P11 11" 2k tablet with Snapdragon 6xx and 6GB RAM locally for 200$~ and MPP pen being sold for 20$~, and the fact that I have no MPP/AES make it tempting to try those out. But I already have a few Android tablets and an iPad, buying another Android with likely worse pen than I already had ( full EMR army in the house) just can’t be justified. Seeing those price ads showing up on every website I go to can be annoying tho.

The P11 was a solid tablet when we tested it, but my major concern would be Lenovo’s all over the place OS update policies. And specifically with the P11 we’ve been told it’s getting Android 12, but no firm commitment beyond that, even to 12L let alone 13.

IMHO, if you can snag a deal on the p11 plus. which comes with 12 out of the box and will definitely get at least 13, it might be a better bet.

PS: The Plus has has a somewhat improved display (better color gamut and fractional higher maximum brightness) over the P11 as well. I would point out though, that was likely just a side benefit of Lenovo switching panel suppliers versus a deliberate effort in improvement.

1 Like