Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

FWIW my Garmin shows me less calories burned than the elliptical, treadmill, spin & rope pull machines my gym offers. Can’t say how it is on an outdoor activity like mountain biking or speed walking as I don’t have anything there to compare with.

Let’s just say I am old enough to remember Hollywood Blvd in the 90s.

2 Likes

Well as sort of a follow up to this post, I’ve now had my watch ultra for over three weeks and this last week I committed to using it full time including jogging and hiking where I was comfortable with the functionality of the garmin.

So first off, perhaps it’s because I’m gen X and not a millennial but especially when it comes exercise, the watch seriously needs a STFU switch. During my first few runs I was getting on average some type of chirp or vibration every few minutes.

It was almost to the point of being like getting participation trophies…

And they ALL were absolutely trivial stuff that could have waited until I was done and back at my phone.

OTOH the new always on display continues to prove exceptional even in harsh sunlight. And the stats are considerably more numerous than what my Garmin gives me though the value of some of them are dubious at best (such as uneven stride warnings when jogging hiking on a steep trail, well duh !)

The display though manages a trick where it even exceeds the garmin a bit and that is with polarized sunglasses. I often have to twist or move my wrist at least somewhat to fully read the Garmin, but never had that issue with the Ultra

I have gotten more used to the size and weight of it but still not enough to be able to sleep with it.

And the watch versus phone notifications are somewhat helpful in meetings.
So TLDR I don’t love it. but it’s doing the job. OTOH, I’m still not convinced I really need a smartwatch and unless something changes, I doubt I’ll upgrade or replace it for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

So first off, perhaps it’s because I’m gen X and not a millennial but especially when it comes exercise, the watch seriously needs a STFU switch. During my first few runs I was getting on average some type of chirp or vibration every few minutes.

It was almost to the point of being like getting participation trophies…

Hahahaha! That is true of my Apple Watch 6 as well. I’m like dude it was a couple of miles I walked on a treadmill LOL, calm down with the praise a little.

My wife has one I got her for fall detection (she rides horses alone since I don’t wanna). A couple of summers ago she was cantering across a field, and it told her she was having a record run LOL.

5 Likes

Still interested in these for when my Gen1’s die. $200 is not too bad:

I suddenly have an itchy trigger feeling about the Onyx Boox Note Air 2 Plus, or maybe even the Boox Tab Ultra. Native OneNote support in e-ink could be very calming (and workflow simplifying) …

3 Likes

Is there a beefy laptop that has wacom EMR but doesn’t lockdown all the wacom settings like Samsung does? Basically something like a Mobilestudio replacement? Anything that comes close to what HP Zbook X2 G4 did, but updated?

1 Like

IDK how true it is, but I heard Wacom basically doesn’t allow anyone but Wacom to have all the features anymore. That’s why Samsung is locked down.

I’d believe it. Wacom’s basically on ‘collect money for things i did decades ago’ mode so consumer satisfaction is very low on their priorities.

3 Likes

Yeah, part of the reason why I didn’t go with a Mobile Studio Pro when I was looking for a new art device. That and battery life. Couldn’t be happier with the iPad Pro as an alternative honestly. Some trade offs, but in addition to battery life, how lightweight it is compared to every other option is great. It’s so much more comfortable and portable.

1 Like

I’m wavering between my samsung laptop and the samsung s8u. I had an ipad with the 1st gen pencil, couldn’t into it at all.

I didn’t like the 1st Pencil. 2nd gen works for me though. I also tried out whatever version Samsung had at the time when I bought the iPad Pro (2020), along with several Windows options like the Surface Pro X and 7, and the iPad was the best of everything I tried. I had been a die hard Apple hater to that point (and mostly still am), but still don’t regret the purchase.

Not sure how the pen drivers are though, they tend to be half a year - a year behind CPU/GPU-wise, and availability is spotty.

1 Like

Oh yeah. To be honest the stand looked too gimmicky and easily broken with regular use.
Wasn’t there a Concept 9 at some point? With a stylus that has 2 pen buttons?

Any idea when, or if, they’ll be back in stock?

Wait, whaaat? It is going to run ON flawlessly? Take my money NOW!

Ok, ok. I didn’t use the word “flawlessly.” It will still be the Android OneNote app with all its limitations. But even so, the appeal of not having to use some kludgy workaround to get e-ink notes moved to OneNote is tempting.

(TLDR FWIW: I’ve tried just about everything to get reMarkable to play nice with OneNote. Emailing to OneNote wound up creating so many headers and extraneous c r a p that the clean up time alone ruled that out. Next option was dragging and dropping from the reMarkable desktop app to OneNote - which required being at a desktop which isn’t always possible in the available timeline.)

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/ConceptD-CC715-71-7163-Convertible-i7-10875H-Validated/dp/B087Z87GVN

Here’s a used one, dont know the retail price of it though so /shrug

I believe so yes, perhaps you can still buy that pen seperate and use it with a newer refresh of the ConceptD 7 ezel (I would take the ezel hinge over the yoga hinge by the way, definitely more than a gimmick if you use the pen a lot).

There is also the Asus ProArt display pa169cdv but it is not a laptop.

1 Like

I’ve had no luck finding the EZEL9 stylus but I’m over it
Stylus pickiness is going to be the death of me.