Dell XPS 9315t - Possible genuine Surface Pro competitor

Intel shares some of the blame here, especially with 12th Gen (13th gen the jury is still out IMHO) as the 12th gen gets hotter much more quickly than even 11th gen did.

Intel somewhat tries to address that in their developer/system builder docs, but based on my anecdotal experience with the OEMS, that advice tends to get the “thanks dad” treatment. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s also why I noticed I anecdotally observed the GPU being heavily throttled causing the UI to be more sluggish and choppier on the Intel-based Surface Pro 9 on battery. I perceived that Microsoft is having to throttle back the 12th Gen processor more to compensate for the increased power draw to keep battery life up to acceptable standards and that results in less power to go around for the GPU on battery compared to 11th Gen. Plugged in, the Intel 12th Gen-base Surface Pro 9 was just as zippy, though. On both battery and on AC, however, the SQ3 Surface Pro 9 was zippy regardless. I can hardly wait for SQ4 Surface Pro 10 because I think that will be Microsoft’s WOA “wow” moment for ARM performance.

Given that there’s not a peep about OLED I’m thinking this is an IPS display? Womp womp

13" 3:2 3K (2880x1920) Touch; AR+AS, GorillaGlass Victus, active pen support, 500-Nit Display

It is, albeit a significantly above average one (exceptionally color accurate)

2 Likes