Class action lawsuit over "jelly scrolling" on ipad mini 6

I’m sorry but this is why a lot of people in businesses similar to mine despise Apple. It’s not the products or even the company practices, it’s the incredible self-entitled and irrational expectations of a sizeable chunk of its users.

The answer to this is so utterly obvious and straight forward. Either don’t buy one, or if you did, return it.

Stuff like this makes me wish I was a court judge. If this came before me, my response to the plaintiffs would be GTFO!
Apple Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over ‘Jelly Scrolling’ on iPad Mini - MacRumors

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw that news article yesterday and rolled my eyes. I checked mine for jelly scroll when I first got it, made note of what it did, and moved on. It doesn’t bother me (I posted here that it “looks kinda neat”). If it really bothered me however I’d have simply returned it. Apple never questions return reasons and they provide the shipping. Couldn’t be easier.

1 Like

Sadly, there is a long list of tech “class actions” where end users got coupons and lawyers got millions. Thinly capitalized companies settle to avoid massive attorneys fees and crazy jury verdicts that might bankrupt them. The Apple/M$ type behemoths settle for “nuisance” money to buy certainty and move on.

Many end users never claim the coupons. All end users wind up having to click and accept ever more onerous terms and conditions in ever smaller fonts. The millions in attorneys fees are reinvested in the next case, campaign contributions and lobbying against new laws to fix the system. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Long way to say the current system incentivizes the behavior. We’ll get more of it. Q.E.D. You can decide if we’re better off or not.

3 Likes

@Bishop You are using one of our legal counsels favorite phrases whenever he gets asked about certain changes in policy or procedure. eg. “are we sure we want to potentially incentivize that outcome?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds okay to me.

There’s a secret handshake for the club too.

//BEGIN RANT/ Here’s a macro example.

1. During World War II, federal law prohibited salary increases trying to hold down inflation. Big employers began offering subsidized healthcare insurance as a “benefit.”
  2. Medicare/Medicaid became law in the 1960’s with the promise it would help control healthcare costs.
  3. This means the “Pool” of available dollars for healthcare spending equalled private insurance plan premiums, plus federal Medicare budgets, plus 50 states’ Medicaid budgets.
  4. Previously, healthcare costs followed a fairly normal curve similar to inflation and were lower than the number of dollars in the “Pool”.
  5. Within 10 years every major accounting firm offered programs/systems training health care providers how to maximize insurance and Medicare billings, often for fees based on a percentage of the increase in collected billings.
  6. From the 1970s forward, the cost of healthcare in the US expanded based on the number of dollars available in the “Pool”.
  7. Since the 1980’s. the total cost of healthcare in the US has never been less than the number of dollars available in the “Pool”.

A similar pattern developed in cost of college in the US: Tuition grew to match the number of dollars of federal spending, plus state spending, plus private grants, plus the dollars available for students to borrow, etc. It’s no wonder we have a student debt problem. Human nature in large bureaucratic systems. /END RANT//

2 Likes

I “jelly-scrolled” my eyes Ted when I read the story as well, especially the parts about making the iPM6 unusable and causing severe physical and mental illness… :roll_eyes:

EVERYONE here is correct, and only the lawyers win. I get settlement notices every week from one tech item or another that I bought years ago trumpeting their “huge” multi-million dollar verdict, asking whether you want to opt out of the class (otherwise you are in, boosting the payout) and the class members get $22.75 each, while the lawyers are in for 1/3 of $87,000,000 plus expense reimbursements of $2,000,000. The class representatives make a little more ($13,000 +/- in this particular case).

But the flip side of the coin is big business arrogance and bullying. For years oil companies have underpaid the landowners for oil & gas production on the minerals they leased to them; or polluted the H out of their land with production or pipeline spills, and they continue to do so because the landowners can’t afford to sue unless it is big dollars because they can’t get class action status (they have individualized claims that can be quantified). We fought a four year lawsuit for one family that conservatively was owed $4-5m in unpaid royalties and finally settled for 1/4th after being steamrolled by big company and even bigger law firm.

So the pendulum swings both ways folks…

PS - I forgot to mention “You’re holding it the wrong way!”

3 Likes

It’s just so foreign to me.

Neither back in the UK or here in Japan are class action lawsuits really a thing.

■■■■, suing someone in the UK is often still looked down upon unless it’s truly necessary (and most people will never need to in their lives), though we did start importing some good old U S of A practices. Still no tipping required though, thank the gods.