Chasing Unicorns

Every time I hear that idea, it makes me think “I want one of those.”

1 Like

I’m afraid the Duo would still be too underpowered to handle my desktop chores though…the goal is still a single solution…

I am probably very close to my ideal one device solution (I assume you are excluding phones) with my current Go2/dock set-up.

However, the Boox Nova 3 Color reader extends my tablet use outside in direct sunlight and the wacom pen on the Nova 3 is great for taking notes. I use it exclusively for taking notes during phone calls, when researching and when reviewing documents. In addition to the pleasure of writing with a Wacom Pen (which by the way includes my Note 10 pen) I love having all of my notes in one place. I haven’t tried to use OneNote yet, but I will likely be giving it a try eventually. The Boox is also a great reader for sitting on the deck or by the pool.

I can’t see anything coming to market in the foreseeable future that will add the functionality of an EInk screen for outdoor viewing. Maybe a 3,000 nit reflexive display in the Surface would suffice but what are the odds of that?

So, for as much as I was a big fan of the one device solution, I’m not sure it’s all that desirable. With three devices, I have all my bases covered and, if the da*n ODMs would simply keep the evolution of these devices moving forward, I would be a happy camper.

2 Likes

I thought this was hypothetical imagining since nothing really does the thing yet. I’m imagining a Duo that also runs WOA, so that comes with the assumption that whatever guts Future Duo has in it would be enough to run WOA well enough. I mean, doesn’t the ZFold 3 have a better processor in it than the Surface Pro X? Isn’t this a thing that can happen? I mean, I know it probably won’t for a variety of highly frustrating reasons, but my Zfold with the Nexdock or a full desktop set up powered by Dex are pretty close to what you’re talking about. It just would need to run full desktop versions of the programs you need instead of just blown up Android apps, correct?

So, do you want a small but powerful Windows device, or do you want to see one of the mobile OS options mature to the point that it covers your software needs?

What about what of those tiny OneNetbook or GPD yoga style 8 inch things that runs full windows on an i5 processor? Although that doesn’t meet your detachable requirement.

1 Like

I imagine a Z Fold 3 with rollable extensions on either side. You unfold it for small tabket usage (e-mail, YouTube) but roll out extended screens when you want to use it as a laptop. It comes with a detachable case that also unfolds into a BT keyboard. Yes, I also assumed this was a dream case scenario.

2 Likes

Sorry @violajack and @Kumabjorn - I was thinking more practical than dream wish. I want to find a solution with existing hardware and software (or very near term like Win11 running Android). For example, @Bronsky above is almost there with his docked surface go 2 rig. For me, I want more flexibility at the desktop - now running SP8 with two 4k monitors on the OWC TB4 dock. I am trying hard to shift all my “communications (phone. FaceTime, iMessage) solely to my iPhone so that leaves e-reading (Kindle), News+, movies (Netflix, AppleTV, Disney+, Prime Video), and general web browsing on the tablet side. Out of those, only Kindle and News+ has to offload to an iPad - and hopefully Kindle will come around with the release of Android on Win 11. The remaining issue is the fact the SP8 is substantially bigger than the iPad Pro, much less the iPad Mini 6. Still, I want to get down to a single carry, and I know a lot of folks have migrated to the 12.9” iPad Pro plus Magic Keyboard - same size but a far inferior solution for those of us wedded to the desktop first and tablet second.

Maybe I’ve already found the best solution for my immediate needs in this SP8 and the eventual arrival of the Android catalog for “tablety” things. Maybe MS will drop a Surface Go 4 in 2023 with fanless i5 and Iris Xe Graphics, 16gb RAM, and 1TB SSD. yeah, right…

1 Like

To All - I’ve asked the mods to merge this stream of consciousness into the “Chasing Unicorns” general thread because it is really just an extension of that, and I’m missing the point of my own thread I guess.

1 Like

That was my thought when I read your initial post. For your requirements I think that’s as close as you can get with current tech.

Yeah, this is as good as it gets. :vb-agree:

2 Likes

I have to agree. I was after the one device solution for a while but soon realized that it would never be an ideal solution. I thought it was because the manufacturers were being dull (they still are), but I’ve realized that it has to do with form factor.

I used to think my ideal device would be a 9 inch tablet with an all purpose USB c port that did data, video, and power. I would read on it, take notes, and then dock it when at home. But it would make for a small long form note taker and laptop replacement. For long form note taking and laptop use, something that is equivalent to a letter size or A4 paper would be ideal. But that would not be ideal for reading.

Ultimately, if you want one device, it means you are willing to compromise in several use case scenarios, i.e. sacrificing all things at the alter of “oneness,” when really the ideal would be to have as many devices as you have use cases. That is how we operate in all other areas. No mechanic is going to prefer a Swiss army knife over a shed of tools. Any guitar afficionado is going to tell you that you should have different guitars for the different tones you want depending on what kind of music or what kind of situation you want to be playing. Headphones, the same thing. There is no one size fits all. You want many tools in your toolbox, and you want to be able to take the best tool for a particular job.

But there may be reasons why you want one device. For me it was a cost issue. If I could have a tablet play the role of laptop, reader, note taker, and desktop, I only have to pay for one device. For some, it’s the convenience of not worrying about syncing across devices. No matter what the reason, though, you have to decide if that reason is enough to give up having the best tool for each situation and live with the compromises.

As I shared on the tablet history thread, I landed on finding the cheapest tools that do each of the jobs that I need them to do. And I no longer believe in a one device solution, because different use cases require different form factors.

BTW, how do you quote someone on here? I was replying to bronsky.

2 Likes

:vb-wavey: :vb-wavey: :vb-wavey:

1. It’s more than a “convenience” to not worry about synching. When I am at a client’s office I not only need to be able to take notes but refer to documents and other information, REGARDLESS of internet connectivity or the fact that my device is still trying to update with OneNote or other cloud provider. :scream:

2. Cost is always a consideration, especially when vendors like Apple could easily enable a MacOS mode on the iPad Pro for both full desktop and tablet capability in a single device. :rage:

3. As for the tool analogy, there is a reason we have crescent wrenches and multi-tip screwdrivers… :smiley:

1 Like

1: I have no clue how to quote someone yet. Makes sense since I’m a software developer, I should know this.

2: speaking of being a software developer, you would think I might appreciate a more software centric approach to this, and your comments got me thinking, the one thing I’ve appreciated with having a MBP and IPP is airdrop. I leave my MBP docked all the time, and when I create content that isn’t immediately synced in other ways on my IPP, I just air drop it to my MBP. Before I had a second monitor at my desktop, I also just set my IPP next to my MBP and connected it via sidecar as a second monitor. With the cloud, and syncing getting better and better, why do I want a single device to do it all? There are times I don’t have internet connection to sync, but those are pretty rare. I think the bigger thing for me is, I’ve yet to find a tablet OS that is robust enough or user friendly enough when trying to do desktop like things, and I don’t really want the compromise something like Dex gives you. It wouldn’t bother me to keep a 2 device solution, with my MBP always docked as it is now, and an IPP as a companion device, but the bigger thing is what I want out of that companion device. I want to carry it around as a sketchbook or e reader when I want the tablet experience, but I also want to be able to connect it to a keyboard and instantly have a full desktop experience, be able to use the apps as I would on a desktop and be able to write code, with full Bash terminal access, as if from MacOS, mainly because, while laptops are portable, they aren’t as portable as an IPP, even with the magic keyboard, an IPP is just easier to carry around. But Most of the time, I still just want it to be an iPad. I just dream of the day it can also be a MacBook when I want it. And yeah, I get that the SP8 is probably pretty close to this already, but Windows has never really nailed the tablet side of the experience, and I have discovered that I much prefer the magic keyboard to the kickstand and floppy keyboard cover. The kickstand is actually nicer as a tablet, but not when using as a laptop. Plus, the SP8 is definitely bulkier still then the IPP 12.9 when not connected to the magic keyboard, which is how I use mine 90% of the time.

As I said, I can understand having reasons to want a one device solution. But I have to wonder if it will work out in the end. I mean, I just can’t see someone who is used to reading on an ipad mini being happy with reading on a surface pro.

If syncing is THE issue, surely there are ways around that. If money was no object, you could even dedicate a device as your only note taking device (like bronsky seems to be leaning towards). Or (gasp) use an external storage device. That may seem antiquated but it will still be better than trying to lean back on your couch and read a book on a 13 inch tablet (in my humble opinion).

This is not to say MS couldn’t do better to make sure syncing works properly all the time. I guess I’m thinking of ideal situations where money is not a factor and software is without bugs. I’ve concluded that in those situations, you would want separate devices. The endgame is more (reliable) devices, not less.

Yes, there are some tools that do multiple things well, but none to the point that you need nothing else, or do them as well as stand alone tools.

Of course, money is always a factor, but with the amounts you’ve been willing to spend and have already spent, keeping the iPad mini seems like the smart choice to me.

Select the text to be quoted, click on “Quote” on the pop-up:

1 Like

Thanks, I’m on my phone so I don’t see that button, but I’ve figured it out. Thanks.

Edit: nevermind, I see it. Thanks.

Done. Hope this is what you wanted, otherwise I’ll have to learn how to undo moves. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve tried running with only DeX.

It’s nowhere near close. From poor UI scaling for desktop use, to app limits, to apps/programs not being anywhere near the Windows/MacOS versions or simply not available at all.

Oh, did I mention some apps not being able to be opened on external monitors for ‘security’ reasons (real or not, it’s no good)? Or some apps just not accepting peripherals properly?

And the sandboxing of apps and how closed off the OS is, works against it if you’re a ‘power user’. Want to change what a button your mouse does? Better hope there’s an app for that.

DeX is pretty cool, but it’s almost the bare minimum.

PS I tried getting my Fold to run DeX again a couple of days ago. Before it worked fine with a dongle I have. Now it simply won’t.

Sorry for the rant.

I’ve tried running just Dex for a while too. I literally did my (not uncomplicated) taxes on a Note 9 and the Nexdock one year, but that was because Turbo Tax online played nice with Chrome. For me, the limiting factor is OneNote on android. I’d have to re-think my workflow to make organization work without subpages. And I hate that the navigation panel won’t stay open no matter how big your screen is. I’d also lose my network print driver at school, but that also doesn’t work on my Surface Pro X, so…

For me, any one device solution should come up from the phone. I need a phone anyway and I paid so dern much for it and it’s more powerful than many computers I’ve used as daily drivers, so why not? The one time I was able to go to CES in person was the year the Motorola Atrix was released though, so that magical moment when the PR dude pulled the phone out of the dock and video kept playing has taken a foundational spot in my future tech dream land. I’m always for the smart box that you plug into whatever shell best fits the use case. Now, if only the software could catch up.

2 Likes

Fo me, as I have found with my iPad Pro, the approximate 11 inch size is the ideal form factor for most tablet uses.

Like @dstrauss I’m also for better or worse, fairly tightly bound to all things Windows and especially all things office as well as active directory and one drive.

The closest I can come to a one device option is also by a good bit an expensive one,

So it would be…

iPad Pro 11 (2021) with 1 TB storage and 5G cellular, not because I need the storage, but for the 16GB RAM.
Magic Keyboard (for productivity tasks)
The folio case for tablet use as the device is too slippery on it’s own
The Pencil 2

And the long term expensive part, a license for “Windows 365” aka cloud windows.

FWIW, The app for iPad for Windows 365 is quite good including fairly seamless support for the magic keyboard and trackpad as well as an albeit fussy but workable way to incorporate iCloud (via installing it in the cloud windows instance) to provide a limited manner of more windows like file management to the iPad.

I actually have a customer that is attempting to do exactly this scenario, although he went with the iPad Pro 12.9

1 Like

Can you use multiple monitors with Windows 365?

I think EVERYONE would love a true phone only solution - and why not - as you say it is far more powerful than many recent laptops. In fact it amazes me the specs and power of even low end modern laptops and the reviewers give it the same review they gave to 486 computers of yore - it is good for email, browsing, and light productivity - we’ve been doing that since the 386 come to think of it. Just imagine from phone to tablet to laptop to desktop and back…

MAKE IT SO NUMBER ONE! (Panay, not Riker)

1 Like