Brainstorming and Suggestions for Forum

My take: since I’m a TPCR addict I glance at every post, so I just have a bookmark that points to https://forum.tabletpc.review/unread . On TPCR classic that would get you a list of posts, one per line. So far on the current forum it looks like you get ‘cards’, at least the two threads with new posts were shown side by side. I probably just need to get used to that view.

4 Likes

By the way, I am THRILLED that the new TPCR is https. Finally! And… that we have a dark theme. Fantastic!

5 Likes

Same here - I thought it just didn’t like mangy old men

I think what throws me off visually in the “latest” posts, are that the cards are different heights, so it wasn’t obvious to me, at first, at the chronological order that goes from columns to rows in a zig zag order.

There’s a lot to unpack with everything being new, so I wouldn’t change this right now.

And, finally, thank you for putting this site together!

3 Likes

I was thinking about the same thing as Joe S. That is the basic method I used to read the old forums. So I went to Latest here, but it was a little odd to me. I wish I had the option to read it as a list- maybe as a preference? The little cards seem strange to me as well.

Thank you for setting this up. I hope it works out.

4 Likes

Same. To me, that is the most efficient landing page for frequent participants.

The traditional heading/sub-heading structure, I think, works best for new users exploring the topics, or anyone wanting to search for a particular topic. But I rarely ever navigate the forum this way as an oft returning user.

Agreed. I didn’t notice it on mobile but it sticks out like a sore thumb on desktop view. Discourse actually has a way to show the latest posts as a list. It is just a matter of jogging my memory to arrange it as such.

3 Likes

I’m still getting used to the forum software and features and how they might influence how to set up the forums here. It may take a while.

I agree with @JoeS that the TPCR forums were too numerous and that we can probably use fewer forums here. I also agree with @nyb72 that our artists (of all types) were an important component of our overall membership and that an art / artist / content creation forum of some type is needed.

However, the question that I am pondering the most is related to how discussions unfolded on TPCR over the last couple of years… they became almost category free and started to develop spontaneously all over the forums in a sort of “free-association” way. Someone would raise a topic or observation, and then everyone would cluster comments, regardless of the forum topic, in response. These clusters of discussion were both very interesting… and very chaotic. Also VERY difficult to relocate after a few days or weeks after the discussion had died down because they were sometimes embedded in a forum whose topic was seemingly completely unrelated. A lot of these occurred in the Microsoft forum; the “Best Smartphone Companion for Microsoft Devices” is a good example. Apple, Google, folding phones and the kitchen sink all appeared in a seemingly unending cycle of discussion…

Anyway, I think that’s the kind of discussion flow that this new forum should capture (because I think it’s going to happen whether we want it to or not) but I am perplexed about how to implement a forum (or something) for it.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion…?

5 Likes

Issue patched. I will be running an unplanned maintenance task very soon for just roughly 10 minutes. So @everyone, if the forums are down, do not panic! It’s just me updating Discourse so you can add your profile pics!

One thing we all should do is use Google to “search” for this board as much as possible so that more infrequent members of the old board can find us.
We can be our own SEO :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And done. @everyone, refresh or close all your open tabs of the site and then you should be able to upload your profile images!

Yeah good point. Another thing we should probably do is change the forum name from “Tablet PC Review” to “TabletPCReview” which is what the old forum was called.

1 Like

:white_check_mark: Done

1 Like

It came down to the theme, which I changed now to a different one by default. Let me know if this looks better. There are numerous themes that I can install.

Quite possible. I did however check the copyright and trademark offices and neither “tablet pc review” nor “tabletpcreview” is formally registered.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s just me, but sometimes I feel some posts can get a little out of order. For instance, a reply will quote a post that shows up underneath it

Just noticed that @dstrauss has zero upvotes listed on his profile. So it seems somehow all the hearts we’re throwing his way don’t count as upvotes.

1 Like

Seems like these threads are… threaded! :exploding_head: Which means we need to be careful which reply/answer button we press.

So the upvotes refer to the upvotes given only for the parent answers in Q&A sections like this. Actually likes are shown in the user section here ( Users - TabletPCReview Forum; yes, @dstrauss is in the lead though @dellaster is nipping at his heels! :wink: ) and on the individual user profiles under the “Stats” section. There is an option to rename every little aspect (a couple years ago, I did this on a Star Wars news forum: Groups - Far, Far Away News (farfarawaynews.com)). So I expect I can do the same here and change the name of upvotes to something more logical like knowledge points or wisdom level (OK, maybe too RPG-esque, but you hopefully get my drift!).

2 Likes