[Ars Technica] This 22-Year-Old Builds Chips in His Parents’ Garage

2 Likes

Dude, this is so friggin cool! Kids like this are inspiring. He certainly has a bright future ahead of him!

1 Like

Intel right now, probably…

2 Likes

Very cool and the people telling him he couldn’t do it sound like they were jealous in some capacity.

But let’s be honest: few can ever hope to do anything like this. I’ve lived in flats smaller than his (parents’) garage. He clearly comes from quite a well off family. He can only get such complex and fomerly expensive equipment because there’s no demand for it. If others got into this, those prices would skyrocket.

Don’t get me wrong; it’s very impressive. And good to see someone doing something creative.

2 Likes

Definitely there is a combination of nature and nurture with supportive family and financial means and such, but you cannot deny the sheer talent and drive that he had to have to do this because no one else his age has accomplished this before. But for those without the real estate or bank account to do in-home silicon etching, there is always Minecraft processor design and trust me this is also next level stuff of the same caliber. This has all the trimmings of a processor ordinarily you might see a graduate level student designing including branch prediction!

1 Like