AI inaccuracies and misinformation

BTW; One of my daughters instructors has pointed out to his class that the roots of a lot of this seemingly odd behavior by the bots is down to one of the very oldest computing “innovations”

Fuzzy logic - Wikipedia

Funnily enough the first disappeared buzz word discussed in @Kumabjorn’s recent thread. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lessons learned with the game of Go:

Man beats machine at Go in human victory over AI | Ars Technica

1 Like

Turns out you really need to check Bing’s homework, even when it sounds completely factual and provides reference links. This is in the chat panel in Edge, which I think doesn’t support setting the mode to Creative etc,so I’m thinking this is in the ‘neutral’ setting.

It explicitly told me the ThinkBook 13x Gen 2 supports inking. I then asked which pen tech it uses, and it said it couldn’t find that, but it definitely does support inking. Asking for evidence for that it then said “Oh actually no”. Gee, thanks!

4 Likes

Is Apple, of all companies, being the adult in the room when it comes to AI and LLM?

Is fear of “looking bad” or giving “wrong answers” really bad? Pure capitalists (M$ and Google) would say yes, but I believe it will come back to bite them in the a.$.$ big time. Here’s hoping I am wrong because someone could be injured or financially ruined by a ChatGPT/Bard misstep.

Maybe I better switch teams and sharpen up my plaintiffs’ skills…

1 Like

Best part of practicing environmental litigation. Any given day, I’m on either side.

1 Like

I think they’re fine. There are plenty of disclaimers, and warnings about liability and responsibility.

Sure, people are going to try. But how many people, for example, successfully litigate against chainsaw makers when they lob off one of their limbs due to being idiots?

Probably responsibility has to apply at some point. A tamer example, but a few people here in the UK have made a big fuss about other countries refusing their passports due to not enough time being left on them. I have zero sympathy, because they should have checked beforehand.

You’d be surprised. At least in the US. How do you think those Chain Guards and warnings posted all over the device got there?

2 Likes

You don’t understand - go look at your lawn mower (U.S.) and there will be a sticker on the deck that says not to put your hands under this deck when operating the mower - AFTER a guy sued when he used his mower that way to trim some bushes AND his fingers!

4 Likes

Or the infamous case involving McDonald’s hot coffee that forced them to put a warning on their coffee cups?

Addendum to that situation - the warning is correct, the loss in the lawsuit was well deserved when the defense basically argued that the 79 year old victim of the scalding burns was old and old people have thin skin…fascinating case…

I was just enjoying the wiki article about it: Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia

1 Like

My favorite is the warning they used to have on straws at Starbucks, something like “do not use to drink hot liquid”. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Well, LEXIS, one of two monopolistic providers of legal research and publications, has decided to venture into AI.

This looks like a real fustercluck.

5 Likes

One of our consultants was at a wall street investor event last week and the only thing that anyone wanted to talk about with any of the tech companies was what they were doing/planning in the AI space… :thinking:

Including a “value add” reason to upcharge.

Options like FastCase have really bedeviled Westlaw and Lexis, so with their resource base adding an AI “value add” must look heaven sent to them…

Big surprise - Wall Street Investor Events only really have one question: “What are you doing to produce more profit by tomorrow?”

1 Like

Sorry to pester your legal minds again, but could you explain how the legal profession lends itself to companies like Lexis having a stranglehold on research tools?

I’ve done some IT systems for smaller firms and every time LexisNexis was a default install, perhaps even more so than Office. But in my brief usage the interface seemed archaic, almost like using an old Encarta encyclopedia CD-ROM. :smiley:

This could be my inexperience, but isn’t caselaw publicly accessible information anyways? Meaning, any company could theoretically come in and offer better UX and tools for lawyers?

In theory, the statutes passed by the legislature and opinions written by the courts are public domain, but:

1. Some states have exclusive publishing contracts (think pay wall)
  2. The value of aggregation across multiple cities, counties, states and courts into a single database and a single license cost
  3. “Proprietary” index systems (Westlaw was famous for its key number system - like Dewey decimal system - which it added to all its books tied to specific paragraphs in every case)
  4. Then there are treatises, law review articles and specialized reporting services (like bankruptcy law - think cable one monthly price for lots of channels)

Plus it’s cheaper than renting office space to fill with bookshelves.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

So basically, no other company wants to put in the time/effort to collate the various public databases and exclusive professional publications, except for the companies that carry the sunk cost of doing it over decades already?

(Pardon my saying, but an AI crawler/indexer really does seem like the ideal tool/disruptor to do this kind of work. :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like