About the All-In-Ones category

(Replace this first paragraph with a brief description of your new category. This guidance will appear in the category selection area, so try to keep it below 200 characters.)

Use the following paragraphs for a longer description, or to establish category guidelines or rules:

• Why should people use this category? What is it for?

• How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?

• What should topics in this category generally contain?

• Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

Continuing with my weekly category tweaks, I decided I would tackle this somewhat tricky one.

@JoeS and @Dellaster brought up a good point that this subcategory may be too narrow, with the only well-known example being the Surface Studio 1/2. It is also a little ambiguous right now, with the inclusion of the ConceptD 9 convertible and the rumoured Galaxy Book Fold threads.

So I propose three things:

First, letā€™s create a new Windows subcategory called ā€˜Foldablesā€™, anticipating new entries like the Zenbook 17 Fold, and to have a place for the existing Thinkpad X1 Fold.

Second, letā€™s rename this subcategory to ā€˜Large Format (20" and up)ā€™, to clearly delineate it for large, special-purpose tablets with built-in PCs:

And third, letā€™s move the ConceptD 9 back into the ā€˜Convertiblesā€™ category, grouping it back in with the ConceptD 7 and Surface Laptop Studio, which are legitimate alternatives as workstation-class devices.

I think these changes will improve forum consistency, and help users decide the appropriate subcategory for these niche form-factors.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. Good thinking getting foldables in there.

Just a heads up, I shuffled a few posts from in the AIO category to follow the new categories we created in this thread:

Going forward, we can use this section for large-format tablet PC monitors like the Surface Studio and Kamvas Studio lines.

Considering how few products fall into this category, I would be OK including mini PCs in here as well (such as the one Morefine S500 Plus thread we already have).

Open to more suggestions for improving this category and fostering discussions on high-end desktop tablets.

Edit: ā€œ2 years laterā€ā€¦Holy crap! Itā€™s been two years already since we started the new forums?! Time acceleration is real.

1 Like