2022 Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360 13.3 and 15.6

Hm, so. Preordered the Pro 360 in 13" i7/16gb/512. :roll_eyes: (I looked more properly into the previous models etc, at least.)

I would have still preferred it was 16/10 but it should be fine. The keyboard might require some adjustment from my partā€¦

It /should/ ship around April 5.

Anyone have any idea when thd 32GB 15.6 SKU might ne coming out? I see nothing at Samsung.comā€¦

Some people reported screen shattering on older model, even though they babied it a lot and never drop it. Maybe too much pressure when closed the lid cause it. I guess you should be careful when open /close it and avoid pet.

I often put stuff on my laptop when it is closed like my ipad/ drawing screen, or my 9 lbs cat sometime jump on it, thankfully that was a beefy gaming laptop. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the reminder, i saw the mention of screen shattering once but itā€™s good to be reminded of this possible issue, iā€™ll definitively be extra careful.

I donā€™t know what itā€™s worth or if itā€™s worth anything at all but i took some 2 years ā€œSamsung Care+ā€ guarantee/warranty when preordering the laptop.

I also have a 9lbs cat haha (although sheā€™s half the size of a usual cat) and so far she still understands that the laptop is off limit!
iā€™ll have to be extra careful with this one tho yesā€¦

Generally I also try to be careful where and how i put/place my tablet/s, particularly the iPad Miniā€¦
(Although it didnā€™t prevent a ā€˜crackā€™-like display issue to appear overnight and out-of-nowhere, 2 years and one month after i got it. ā€” No idea what happened, my only guess is it could have received a little shock some weeks or months before and the issue only manifested later. The screen wasnā€™t cracked but it still looked like an issue caused by a shockā€¦ Half the display-area was glitched. IDK. :person_shrugging:)

1 Like

Cute & destructive. :vb-embarassed-laugh:

Mineā€™s petite at 8lbsā€”average is 9-12lbsā€”but thereā€™s still quite a thump when she lands. Fortunately my SLS is always at an angle on its desktop arm so itā€™s not attractive to her. Sheā€™d slide off!

Sloped SLS

4 Likes

I have the galaxy book2 pro 360. I am working to make this pen betterā€¦ Iā€™m extremely unhappy with the lack of customization for the pen.

I found the ā€œsamsung pen serviceā€, but not the ā€œsamsung firmware interface serviceā€. Could this be under a new name now?

Preordering on the French Samsung website was funny by the way.
I only got a confirmation email of my preorder 10 days after i placed it (& i mean: the first email from them after my order). This email refers to my preorder as a ā€˜mobileā€™ (ā€˜mobile deviceā€™ / smartphone) ā€“ Theyā€™re really not used to sell laptops/PCs here apparently.

i initially saw at least 3 or 4 different dates for shipping (i hoped it could be early April but really i suspected it would only be the later one i sawā€¦ with all the delay / things already happening in Shenzhen and i donā€™t know where they get all their parts/have their stuff built).
So far iā€™m more expecting it to ship toward the 21st april as it was the later/latest date i got. (Early April would have been a bit more practical for me but heh.)
I noted the preorder/order page for the device on the site now displays a shipping date for the 29 april.

The tracking page still has 4 or 5 different dates displayed. Still funny. Apparently iā€™m expected to receive my preorder on the 29 of March but it still should ship either on the 1st or 5 of April. :stuck_out_tongue:
(The date of the 21st April i have is from the bill. ā€“ It took me a while to even see there was a link to the bill on the tracking page.)
At least they send emails when orders/preorders do ship. :slight_smile:

I should have started to see if it i can expect to be able to replace Win11 by Win10 on such a device without trouble/problemā€¦ in case i really need to do that butā€¦ Iā€™ve been procrastinating.

That is called sending it so fast, it goes back in time! Who said the French were tardy? :laughing:

1 Like

It is election time, what do you expect?

Hey, I want to know how this goes and if there are any screen issues you mentioned with other models. Also, is there even a configuration with 32gb ram? I mean I could at least upgrade the ssd.

on a side note. I have the Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel. Iā€™m considering selling it so if anyone knows where I would be able to do that let me know. I may get the Samsung as a replacecment.

got mine since 10 days, galaxy book 2 pro 360 13 - i7 16GB 512GB. my initial impressions (focusing on stuff I found with real use, the online reviews mention the nice display, nice keyboard+trackpad, lack of usb-aā€¦)

good :

• very good drawing experience, EMR with almost no jitter and minimal edge drifting. better than any previous tablet pcs I ever owned
  • feels responsive, very fast to get out of sleep
  • great construction
  • very thin
  • fingerprint recogniton seems reliable
  • multi-touch is very smooth and fluid

not great:

• the unit gets very very hot in quiet / silent fan modes. makes it very unpleasant to hold it when touching the air exhaust /top of the keyboard
  • the fan is very present, can be loud, not high pitched but Iā€™m not liking the overall fan noise performance. even light web browsing can trigger the fan - but it can also be completly silent at times.
  • weight distribution makes the 1040g ā€˜feelā€™ a lot heavier than say a LG Gram z14p90 (999g)
  • battery life is unimpressive, very far from the advertised numbers, I currently get around 7-8h max
  • the chassis is a finger print magnet (my unit is anthracite grey)
  • no physical cover for the webcam
  • almost no bios tweaking
  • the screen bezels are so thin itā€™s easy to trigger touch when holding the unit in tablet mode

overall I am slightly disappointed, I was hoping for a feather-weight device similar to the lg gram z14p90, this is not it.
the redeeming quality is the drawing experience, itā€™s really great, even though the S-Pen is too small for my taste (the barrel is too slim), the nibs are ok. since itā€™s an s-pen, using another emr tablet-pc pen will work but the cursor will be slightly offset to the right of the nib.

oh, and hover right click is working but I had to install Tablet Pro Pen Tool as mentioned by @SteveB (4USD, it has a setting for s-pens and invert barrel buttons). @Forged I didnā€™t have to stop the services, there is now a toggle to disable air command (the cog at the bottom of air command).

without Tablet Pro Pen Tool to enable hover right click, I would probably have sent back the unit. Decided to keep it and wait to see if firmware upgrades manage to control the heat better. but this is not my endgame 2-in-1 by any mean, Iā€™ll probably look for an alternative far sooner than I had hoped when buying.

7 Likes

Great to hear a real world review. Iā€™ve read that the 13ā€ models have had a harder time with fan noise and heat, compared to the 15ā€ models. I have a Galaxy Book flex from 2 years ago, and yes- the pen input is fantastic. Iā€™ve thought of upgrading for a few non-pen reasons though. Can you touch on them?

-HD webcam
-typing experience
-sound system performance

Iā€™ve heard all three are improved. ? Although the keyboard has low travel, Iā€™ve read it has a nice clicks bounce at the bottom of the stroke? Sound is supposed to be better, fuller. And HD webcam is a clear improvement over 780p.

What are your thoughts?

That sounds heavenly. Thanks for the early impressions! :+1:t2:

Why are you planning on getting rid of the conceptd 7 ezel? I am assuming that the pen configuration tools that we have (tablet pro pen tool / etc.) would work better on the ezel versus the samsung, because the ezel is just a basic pen (no ā€œair commandā€ or other driver customizations).

Of your three questions, I can only speak on the typing experience, and not in a comparison of the old galaxy book to the new, but just on the new. I had a the galaxy book2 pro 360 and ended up returning it.

Anyway, regarding typing on the gb2. I found some weird behavior, where I would hold shift for the first letter of a sentence, as I always do. The first letter would be capitalizedā€¦ and then so would the next several words. Sometimes there was weird behavior where the first few letters were lowercase and then they were all capital after that. Maybe I was accidentally hitting the capslock button and the shift at the same time. I am a reasonably accurate and fast typer (roughly 90 wpm last I checked), and Iā€™ve not had this issue on other keyboards.

The short of it isā€¦ I didnā€™t like the keyboard. But Iā€™ve watched reviews where people like the keyboard. I donā€™t see how, lol. YMMV.

I agree with a @xxxxx said. The pen accuracy was fantastic. I also tested it with a pen from the hp zbook x2, and it worked really really well. The only problem is that button behavior was not consistent, even with the Tablet Pro Pen Tool software. I tried many art applications. The best was Rebelle, which allows use of the eraser, and you could customize the button. There was some strange behavior, but overall it worked. If you do not need the side button, itā€™s perfect. Especially if you are using the tablet pro pen tool software for the on-screen buttons. They almost saved the tablet for me. Kept it a few extra days just because of that for more testing.

In other programs besides Rebelle, customizing the side button also changed the eraser. It was inconsistent at best. For example, if you change the pen button to color selection (alt) in clip studioā€¦ You had to press the pen to the screen twice to get it to register the color selection. Small annoying little things, depending on what program you are using.

In the end, I returned it. Mainly because I want the pen to work exactly as I want without exception or buggy behavior.

The actual drawing experience, though, was great. Very accurate and great pressure response.

I had a huge problem with the small bezels though. I realize I need a more drawing focused laptop, like an hp zbook or a MSP.

1 Like

I see what you mean in terms of weight distribution as i found this to be bothering in the past on some small 7/8" tablets. Between two or three tablets with the same weight, the difference in weight distribution made a rather important difference for me/i found when holding the tablet in one hand for instance, in terms of confort/ergonomics.

So i wonder, in which case/use does it bother you? Tablet use i guess, but holding it as a tablet while drawingā€¦ or even just using it only as a tablet without pen use?

Sorry I just wonder while i still wait for mine.
but i know iā€™m only going to draw with it in tablet mode on a desk and/or with a stand i use specifically for this situation, or i guess perhaps, more rarely, drawing in tablet-mode when sitting on a couch/armchaimā€¦

NB/
I still havenā€™t seen the reviews since i wait for my unit :upside_down_face:
I didnā€™t know they were finally availableā€¦ Will do that.

Yeah, no matter how sexy the thin bezel device is, after using I find them more problem than worth. I use a Tab S7 FE with Super Display as a Cintiq and the Windows right edge swipe panel keep being activated accidentally and disrupt the work flow. That didnā€™t happen with my older Windows devices because the bezel was thicker.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been hoping for a modern (well priced) drawing update on the zbook x2 and it looks like from the reviews that the Samsungs are still not quite there yet?

It actually is - I just checked the Samsung store here in the UK and the education discount + trade-in takes Ā£5-600 off the price however, like the US sale, you have to trade in a very new Samsung device to get the full trade in deal.
I remember looking at the 360 last year and stopping when I saw how new and expensive the existing device had to be to generate the discount.

@SteveB :

hd webcam is okay in good lighting condition, as soon as lighting is weak, the image is noisy and looks over-processed (like these watercolor posterization artifacts, I donā€™t know how to turn any processing off). so Iā€™d say the webcam is decent, similar to a cheap 1080p webcam, not logitech c930 good
typing experience : the keys are really shallow, but you can feel the activation click (not clicky as in cherry blue clicky). the keys are flat. itā€™s good for what it is, the spacing and layout feel conventional. I havenā€™t experienced the mistyping and weird capitalization behavior that @Forged described. so for me, typing experience is good (not thinkpad good though) and all keys have a very consistent feel/feedback (which is very important for me, I hate it when some key feel stiffer or have a different click). I wouldnā€™t say the keyboard is a strong plus, but itā€™s working fine for me, not hindering my experience with the unit.
sound: clear, not amazing. speakers lack low-med and bass and sound slightly boxy but itā€™s to be expected given the size and position of the speakers. at full volume distorsion is controlled and remain usable. donā€™t expect to listen to bass-heavy music, but vocals and clarity is ok. speech is fine.
the headphone output is good, it wonā€™t drive high impedance headphones, but a fostex hd600 @25Ī© was really enjoyable with a slight equalizer boost (like fxsound or equalizer apo).
so far Iā€™ve mainly used Clip Studio and tvpaint on the book2 pro 360, and it was better than I expected (I normally use a cintiq@work), the multi-touch + pen seemed flawless but I need to spend more time experimenting with more apps.
the thin bezels are an issue when holding the tablet, for now Iā€™m adding a useless gap in Tablet Proā€™s artist dock

is there any utility to create non-touchable margins or disable touch on edges ?

@wytn

the weight issue is not that big : I meant that when I pick up my wifeā€™s LG Gram, itā€™s like ā€˜wow, that thing is light !ā€™, (it feels like itā€™s lighter than what I expect), wheras when I pick up the book2 pro 360, there is no wow-factor. I wouldnā€™t hold it one-handed when drawing (like I can with a galaxy tab s7 tablet for instance), it needs to rest on a forearm or a stand.
so I was hoping to be impressed by the weight, but Iā€™m just notā€¦ even though the unit is actually only 1040g according to official specs.
@Forged

I also tested it with a pen from the hp zbook x2, and it worked really really well.

was the zbook x2 pen nib perfectly aligned to the cursor or did you experience a slight offset ?
Iā€™m looking for a thicker pen compatible with s-pen cablibration.
For example, if you change the pen button to color selection (alt) in clip studioā€¦ You had to press the pen to the screen twice to get it to register the color selection. Small annoying little things, depending on what program you are using.

fortunately, Ihavenā€™t run into this issue with CSP : I mapped the barrel button to right click in Tablet Pro Pen Tool then configure the right click in other my graphic apps : in CSP, configured the right click to eyedropper without issues (I can reliably hover right click to pick colors), also tried right click > eraser (works, hold right click and simultaneously paint to erase), and also right click > change brush size (hold right click and click and drag to resize the brush).
I donā€™t use Rebelle, but TVPaint and storyboard pro worked fine also

2 Likes