10th gen iPad (2022)

I just read that one myself, and I sort of agree with her. Apple seems to be “dumping the date that brung them to the dance”.

In other words the extremely kludgly effort to keep using the orginal Apple Pencil, and the extremely overpriced IMHO magic keyboard, just seem like Apple missed who’s buying this iPad. I mean if it supported Stage Manager then the new magic keyboard makes some very overpriced sense I suppose.

The old folio while not ideal, at least was relatively a good value especially as you could almost always find it on sale.

Several of our customers that actually buy the standard iPads are instead buying the 9th gen while they can.

3 Likes

Haha nice one. BTW all this talk of dates caused you to make a fruit related typo.

2 Likes

yes, there is not an auto-correct that I cannot easliy defeat :slight_smile:

Edit: That post was bad even for me…

1 Like

Related to the above. K12 is complaining quite a bit about the price generally, but slightly surprisingly, so far anyway, the biggest complaint has been the loss of the headphone jack.

Which makes sense when you consider a computer lab of 25 kids

4 Likes

Chromebooks to the rescue?

1 Like

Apple: They lack courage.

1 Like

I agree with pretty much everything in here. You can get the IPM6 on Amazon for $450 new and get an arguably better tablet experience. You don’t need to worry about wanting a keyboard, and can get the far superior Pencil 2 experience if you want it.

And honestly, even with my 12.9 IPP, I haven’t had it on the Magic Keyboard in over a month. I’m more and more just using my MBP for keyboard-y type things and using the IPP as just a tablet and sketchbook. As much as a do it all one device solution would be nice, the direction Apple is going with it isn’t actually the right one. Windows had a much better idea when they introduced Windows 8 to completely switch the UI between tablet and desktop mode. These small compromises to add some desktop-like experiences Apple has made are just that and nothing more.

3 Likes

So perhaps we should have a new thread to discuss more extensively, but since we have been talking about the 10th gen standard iPad here, this review pretty much sums up the general reaction we’ve seen with our customers which is essentially “who is this for or where does this fit?”

Apple iPad (10th gen) review: stuck in the middle - The Verge

3 Likes

The proverbial middle child, but still a tough call. With Apple refusing (or unable) to deliver truly desktop class applications to the M1 and M2 iPad Pro/Air (sorry, Davinci Resolve is a solo shot), I am more than frustrated with the lowly iPad 10 getting the landscape camera and superior Magic Keyboard Folio. Of course, then they gimp it with Pencil 1 and ANOTHER dongle…

2 Likes

FWIW, the new keyboard is more appealing in theory than actual use IMHO.

No backlight, and a mushy/bouncy feel that’s way below the magic keyboard or MS Surface Keyboard for that matter. I do like the function key row though.

4 Likes

Reviewers were saying it has the Magic Keyboard keys - not so?

1 Like

Same layout and keycaps, but totally different feel. likely due to the weight distribution differences between the two plus I find a backlight very beneficial

5 Likes

I’ve also been rambling here about the ipad 10, so NOT going to start a new thread for just this one item, but MacStories had an interesting observation about the Magic Keyboard vs Magic Keyboard Folio - I thought the new Folio would be lighter - I was wrong:

“The detached keyboard part of the Magic Keyboard Folio weighs 292 grams. An iPad with the full Magic Keyboard Folio setup weighs 1071 grams; the iPad Air with the Magic Keyboard weighs 1069 grams.”

My SP8 with signature cover is 1171gr…

1 Like

BTW: If you have someone that wants a genuine, no BS, PINK iPad, then the 10 the gen is for you. Several people upon seeing our lab unit said "that’s really pink! "

I am a little confused here: who in the world charges $449 starting for a tablet in 2022 that does not have an optically bonded display? It was passable at $329, but the review makes it clear that they have kept the infamous air gap despite the upcharge. Suddenly, the Surface Go 3, which the iPad has now priced itself above, looks a whole lot more appealing from a display design perspective.

2 Likes

Ready for a little conspiracy theory?

The new generation iPads is Apple’s way of getting back at the EU.
The price difference in euro is staggering, from €349 to €499 for the regular iPad. Insisting on Pencil 1 requires an adapter to charge the Pencil if you do it from the iPad, I think the price in Europe is €15 for that piece of plastic. So Timmy is saying, “you come after us, we are going to make your constituents pay for it”.
End of conspiracy theory.

4 Likes

Nah, the Euro hasn’t been doing too well, and you have to remember most prices in Europe are the total of what you pay.

Anyway, if they want to price themselves out of an ever increasing number of people (who are increasingly not even able to afford such luxuries on credit), well I ain’t stopping them.

Isn’t the dollar and euro pretty much at par right now? But you’re right, I did forget about VAT.

Such incredible marketing calling it a “Value Added Tax” when it’s just a “Taxes Already Taken”

1 Like

Only USB 2.0 in 2022? Oh my.

1 Like